• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Deer Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaronBrian

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I finally got out and took my muzzleloader hunting. A friend is part owner of several large tracts of unused (except for cattle pasture) land and he gave me permission to hunt it. This was to be my first deer hunt. Ever.

So we went out to scout the properties and I brought the muzzleloader (T/C Hawken .50) along. I never saw a deer even though one walked right under my friend (who was checking out an old tree stand and had not brought a rifle). That happened with in thirty minutes of us being on the property.

The rest of the day was spent futzing around getting used to hauling my whole muzzleloading kit around the woods with me. The powder horn I had bought turned out to work nicely EXCEPT for the crummy leather shoulder strap that kept coming loose. The backpack I was carrying with the rest of my stuff wasn't very useful either. I've got learning to sew on my list of things to do just so I can make myself a hunting bag.

Sadly, life conspired to keep me out of the woods for the rest of deer season so that was my only time out this season. So basically, I never saw a deer, didn't fire the rifle except to discharge it at the end of the day and spent all day outside futzing around with my muzzleloading gear. I consider that a win on my part.

Sounds good, I enjoy ANY time I can get out of the house and into the woods.

Good attitude my friend.

I couldn't help but smile when you talked about hauling all your ML gear around.

When I first started I was a walking ML store for a 3 hour morning hunt. (Those were the days)

The more I hunt ML the less gear I take out.

Deer hunt now:

4 speed loaders - Hand made.

Small (pocket type) priming horn (fff)

2 extra flints, ball puller, Jag,vent pick

1/2 dozen patches, eyedrop bottle with Lehigh Lube

But I do sort of miss trying to tip toe through a briar thicket with 2 powder horns ,shooting pouch, haversack, canteen, belt knife,loading block, neck knife,hawk, tricorn hat and such.

Man it was exciting back then

You read us bragging about the really good days, but admit it or not, we also have many more days just like yours. In my eyes they make the good days even better, but they're enough to discourage some folks.

My rule of thumb when things start going to hell is to sit down and think about it a while. It's amazing how the game relaxes and comes into view when I quit rattling my gear and cussing!

BaronBrian said:
The rest of the day was spent futzing around getting used to hauling my whole muzzleloading kit around the woods with me. The powder horn I had bought turned out to work nicely EXCEPT for the crummy leather shoulder strap that kept coming loose. The backpack I was carrying with the rest of my stuff wasn't very useful either. I've got learning to sew on my list of things to do just so I can make myself a hunting bag.

I've still got my original m/l hunting pouch. A gray canvas Swiss military surplus gas-mask shoulder bag. Don't need be fancy. I still use it for a lunch and "overflow gear" bag when fishing.

I really did carry a ton of stuff I didn't need. Full powder horn, a box of roundballs (100 count!), all the little implements for the rifle, skinning knife, patches, water bottle (among other things) and all of this stuffed into a backpack or my pockets. In the future I'm going with some pre-measured powder charges, a few roundballs and patches and a short starter instead of being loaded like I'm going to war.

The day really was worthwhile. To paraphrase an old saying, "A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work."

Back