• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Date with a French Dragoon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went back and watched the video. Again, you did a fine job building the pistol, and that's good shooting, too! I think I heard you say on the video that it was loaded with forty grains of powder, and I gather from post #16 that it was loaded with shot. Can you provide more details about your load?

I don't know if anyone is interested, but here is a tale of another old French flintlock pistol, and its owner, who traveled from Montreal to Montana, back in the Shining Times: Hugh Monroe's Pistol

Now I want one. Dang it....

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Be glad to share, but it's rather basic. The load was 40 grains of 3F, and I rammed a 1" square piece of denim down on top (my over-shot wads didn't arrive yet). I dumped in a small pile of #7 shot, the load was about as high in my cupped hand as a ball would be, and then I rammed some damp denim (from spit) atop the shot.
That was my first go at it with my Dragoon pistol. Worked pretty well I think :)
I will check out that story link, thanks Notchy Bob.

Well, every time I try to watch your video it tells me an error has occurred and to try again later, tried later several times and apparently "later" never delivers. Anyway I really like your pistol, nice job!!!!
Robby

Well, every time I try to watch your video it tells me an error has occurred and to try again later, tried later several times and apparently "later" never delivers. Anyway I really like your pistol, nice job!!!!
Robby
That’s strange you are getting that message. Did you try viewing the video on a computer or phone?

What a beautiful job you made of that pistol - it's just so elegant and graceful, you can have a hard time reminding yourself that it's a martial pistol, and not one of a pair made for a wealthy gentleman traveller of the day. From what little I've seen over the years, French firearms designs tended to be more graceful than either their German or English counterparts - certainly true where the Charleville musket was concerned, and this lovely pistol here.

Many congratulations on its completion and successful first firing!

What a beautiful job you made of that pistol - it's just so elegant and graceful, you can have a hard time reminding yourself that it's a martial pistol, and not one of a pair made for a wealthy gentleman traveller of the day. From what little I've seen over the years, French firearms designs tended to be more graceful than either their German or English counterparts - certainly true where the Charleville musket was concerned, and this lovely pistol here.

Many congratulations on its completion and successful first firing!
Thank you TFoley. I agree with you about the gracefulness of the French pistols. I have always admired the British Dragoon pistol shape and look, though in comparing these two, the British seems so much heavier and stocky.

How much of a hassle was it to build that MBS kit? I’ve been eyeing an English Dragoon kit.

-Jake

Back