• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1954 vs 1974 Dragoon date

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently purchased a very nice Uberti 3rd model Colt dragoon. In a block is the letter X. My date code chart says that is 1954. However, my research says that gun was first made by Uberti in 1974. There is no problem; I just want to know when it was made. It looks waaaay to nice to have been around since 1954. The seller does not know. Help! Dale

Looks like your right with 1954 according to my chart sir. One X in box (1954) two XX in box (1964), XXX in box (1987). Dale, could someone have placed an older barrel on it? I don't know if that's even possible?

Have seen a lot of revolvers with very weak or partial date stamps. 1974 would be XXX. The very first reproduction revolvers didn't come into being until late 1958 and were imported in 1959 by Navy Arms. They were a .36 caliber 1851 style with a steel frame or brass frame with a round barrel, plain cylinder. The first Walker didn't come in to the US until 1962. Dragoons came later.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back