• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Casting With New Pot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It has been a long time since I cast any round balls and that was old school. So I bought a new electric bottom pour pot. For lead I had a mix of .50 balls and bullets that came with a rifle I no longer have, probably 140, about 40 heavily oxidized .50 balls that came with an old shooting pouch and maybe 150 Hornady swaged .50 and .58 balls. First in pot went shiny cast lead balls. Once melted, I added the Hornady balls. What happened was weird. The Hornady balls shed a "skin", like something the pod people would leave behind. Skimmed it off. After casting maybe 20 .530 balls I added the oxidized balls. It was amazing what built up on surface. I kept skimming a couple of times then paused to answer phone. In just a couple of minutes a thick hard layer had formed that I had to bust up with a spoon. Was about 1/8" thick and looked like a soil
IMG_20210404_120026780.jpg
IMG_20210404_124248109.jpg
IMG_20210404_124238502.jpg
IMG_20210404_131346446.jpg
sample brought back from some alien world. All of this gunk seemed excessive. Is the inside of a new pot covered with some factory sealant that could have added to the mess? The 60 balls I cast came out fine. Pics for reference and comment.

Looks like normal crud you would get from dirty lead, however the heat setting looks a little high, and lead level is pretty low in a big pot like that, not sure if the extra heat may have done something.

Thanks. My previous casting was using an iron pot and sketchy lead, so I expected lots of grid. Pot still has about an inch of lead plus the crust. I will buy some ingots and get level up.

Back