• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Build First Smoke.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp Rat

40 Cal.
Reaction score
In this video You get to see the first attempt at smoke and then it's first smoke. (I did not get the cap all the way down on the nipple as they were very tight on the Nipple). 50gains of FFFg triple7 powder bumped up to 55Gains. Pre-made patch that were too large for the .395 balls, but the sights did not have to be adjusted to keep me shooting all the way out to 75yds. I was just making sure she worked and getting a feel for her.
two of the three shots fired at 25yds was touching. about 3" 10 shot group at 48yds 5" 5 shot group at 74yds. I need to cut at the muzzle patch I do believe and a little thicker patch as these loaded easily except for having to fold in the patch in front of the ball. LOL. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiAE60KMSYE
In this video I go over the gun and some of the mistakes I could remember making. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_6xPdHCZM8
Mistakes:
Buying Jager thimbles for a first build, Butt load of time inletting them for a first build. Took me about 60hours for those, but they actually snap in place so happy with the way they turned out.
Drilled the lock bolt by hand at and angle instead of pulling the drill press out where I could have used it and made it straight.
Butt plate I got it angled to far down, did not notice until I spent a long time inletting the buttplate and had it screwed down. (This was upsetting to me and I took time off from the build after that).
one of the pins pushed out a sliver of wood(which had been in and out a few time), Had to use some thin CA glue to put in back in and just hope the stain took. (Came out OK).
When shaping the stock I took to much off that is why you see a flat area on the butt plate. (little upsetting but it's my first).
Toe plate: I cut a knife line around it to inlet it, I used a Dremmel with a router base to rough out the middle to give me a constant depth but with bad lighting I ran past my line and had to fill in with stained saw dust and tru-oil.
On the last coat of tru-oil finish I attached the buttplate and it was enough added weight to straiten the wire I had used to hang the gun during drying. It fell and I had to strip it down and start over. Did not do as good a job the second time around.
Rust blueing, leaned on the small parts and learned I was taking to much off with a brass brush switched to pillow ticking and it worked great after that.
stabbing a little releaf around the breech, I stabbed to deep and have a line that I could not repair and did not feel like attempting wire inlay to cover up wanted it done at that point.
A slip of the chisel inletting the trigger plate caused a crack that can still be seen in the video.
Parts that are just a pain for me. The curve at the side panels and transition area between wrist and comb. I have major issues doing this work trying to scrap or sand and getting a smooth curve instead of a trough or slinter.
Thinks I'm very happy with:
The under lugs. Dang boy I tell you what If you could see them they are fabulous. Seriously I was/am very pleased with my under lugs and even the sight dove tails are OK.
The inletting of the Lock is so tight it is hard to get in and out no gaps.
The barrel inletting is tight and no gaps.
The Mark lee #3 rust blue job on the barrel not the small parts came out real well, it only took 4 coats. I used boild water on the stove and put the barrel in a capped 2" PVC pipe and it worked great.
The thimble inletting although it took a looooong time I am happy how well they fit to the wood.
Pewter nose cap. had some splatter marks where the ram rod was and that is the reason it is bullet shaped. I was not planning on having the nose cap come all the way down like it did but it looked good so I stuck with it.
The aqua-fortis stain. I love this stuff. I even used it on the hickory ramrod.
Big Thank You has to go out to Mr. Bellevue "Mr. B Duelist1954" for his videos on building the Bucks county rifle with out seeing his work I may not have attempted this build and a couple of the tools he used was invaluable to me on my build.
Also Need to give Zonie a Thank You because His info has pretty much been spot on over the years.
Fred can be a little brash at times but He deserves recognition on trying to keep guys like me in line and building rifles the RIGHT way...Notice I said trying Fred, I know this one is not right but it was what I wanted.
Thanks guys for passing along the info to do stuff like this. I learned SOOO much that I believe this to be the greatest value of this journey.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aqua-fortis from Tow and Tru-oil. I had it perfect just before it fell, I guess I rushed it the second time thru.

Back