• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Firing 777 through a Pedersoli CS Richmond and getting decent results......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't tried the 2f 777 yet but I have 2 cans of it. The 3f 777 I'm using up burns really clean and it might be that the dry Minies blow enough of the fouling out to keep the bore clean.
I would think that after a while you might have some leading issues, but that can be dealt with. Some of that thick waxy stuff does indeed make loading hard if the bullet hasn't been through a luber-sizer of some kind.

I too have a fair bit of t7 in the shop. The last 2 years I have switched my bench shooting from black with caps to either t7 and 209s or a flinter. I think it maybe I have been dragged into the shortage bs. I have been fortunate to be able to keep my black in stock and the caps are reserved for the pistols. The sport is NOT supposed to be a balancing act to stay ahead of production and delivery but it does add a new wrinkle. I grew up in a remote area and remember Granpa managing his available shooting supplies. I had not thought of that for a long time but realize he would fit into today's shooting world just fine.

I would think that after a while you might have some leading issues, but that can be dealt with. Some of that thick waxy stuff does indeed make loading hard if the bullet hasn't been through a luber-sizer of some kind.
I always hot dip then size them , but this time I dipped them while they were in the plastic cap

I too have a fair bit of t7 in the shop. The last 2 years I have switched my bench shooting from black with caps to either t7 and 209s or a flinter. I think it maybe I have been dragged into the shortage bs. I have been fortunate to be able to keep my black in stock and the caps are reserved for the pistols. The sport is NOT supposed to be a balancing act to stay ahead of production and delivery but it does add a new wrinkle. I grew up in a remote area and remember Granpa managing his available shooting supplies. I had not thought of that for a long time but realize he would fit into today's shooting world just fine.
I own and shoot pretty much everything, sometimes I feel like "doing it right" and making paper cartridges with 2F, and using a rifle that takes Musket caps . Or I'll take one of my .69 Flinters out , or a round ball rifle

But I also like having an alternative if I just want to bring 30 or 40 rounds to the range and shoot stuff, with components I can easily replenish. The 209 primer , .577 Minie and 777 just happens to be an extremely accurate combo in this rifle to the point where I'll probably designate this one just for 209 primers and subs.

People hate subs but if they keep you out shooting instead of home on the couch , they have their place

20221220_132156.jpg

Went out today , about 35 dry Minies down the pipe. No problems .

20221220_132342.jpg

100 yards, with a flyer, shooting from the bench , resting my elbows on the table with no sandbags or anything.

20221220_133704.jpg

I put Ivan at 200 yards, and fired about 15 rounds at him. He took 6 hits, and the dirt and snow in front of him was chewed up from me hitting just a little short. It took a little bit to get the sight picture down to hit at 200.

20221220_150748.jpg

132488.jpeg

I am flabergasted that no lube minie balls dont lead up the bore. All my vintage loading beliefs are being challenged. I will have to get up the nerve to try it. I have 2 lbs 2F 777 to burn.

Learn something new every day 😉
Lubing definitely won't hurt , but lube isn't required with the 777 and Minies.

I still got the famous 777 "crud ring" near the breech but a moderate tap with the rod seated the Minie.

Maybe the 209 primer burns the 777 completely and it runs cleaner? I honestly am unsure but it works for some fun range plinking.

I am also waiting to try the 2 cans of 2F 777 because my can of 3f 777 is almost gone.

I'm also curious how 777 might do in my .451 Volunteer rifle as long as a CCI #11 Magnum will light it off

I shot some 2fg 777 with regular cci no. 11 caps in my percussion 50 and had no ignition problems at all. Very easy clean up.
I think that Mississippi has warmer weather, which helps ignition... though the humidity probably works against you. Up here in Wisconsin, when it gets cold in the fall, Triple 7, Pyrodex and their ilk just do not like to perform in my experience. Even in warm weather, I get unreliable results unless I use some actual black powder. This is one reason that many muzzle-loader hunters have gone to inlines.

Worst case , you can coat the bore with Hoppe's Bench Rest which is a non-aggressive lead remover, let it sit for a few days and wipe it out.

I never would have thought a .58 Minie had the velocity to lead a bore but it's probably possible. I've fired nearly 100 over 3 days and the bore shows no leading

Humidity has been my friend for softening fowling, at least with BP. In hot weather it makes soup in flintlock pan and man is it miserable to sweat in. The damp makes it feel mighty cold in the winter.

I have not shot enough 777 to really know but as easy as it cleans up with water, I would have thought humidity, warm or cold, might help. I guess I ought to get out and burn some to find out.

I thought about giving this stuff a shot, I believe it contains Alox which is supposed to be bad for BP but 777 is a whole different animal

I'm just interested in knocking that crud ring down
20221221_123517.jpg

I got out last Saturday with the muskettoon. 72 degrees and humid. Shot about 20 rounds 777 under greased mini balls. The last loaded as smooth as the first going down under weight of the rod. No crud ring. Instant ignition with RWS musket caps. Easiest clean up with water and patches. Another great day at the range 😉

I got out last Saturday with the muskettoon. 72 degrees and humid. Shot about 20 rounds 777 under greased mini balls. The last loaded as smooth as the first going down under weight of the rod. No crud ring. Instant ignition with RWS musket caps. Easiest clean up with water and patches. Another great day at the range 😉
An Enfield Musketoon?

I plan on trying my 2f 777 on Wednesday, I'm glad you had no crud ring.

I need try some 777 in my P53 Enfield I set up for bench shooting

Cook & Brother Confederate repro. Looks just like an Enfield. A very handy little rifle.
I just put one of those on layaway, I've always liked how they looked

I'd like to try Pyrodex Select in my Parker-Hale P53 just to see how it shoots. There's only one way to find out.....

Worst case scenario I'll bring my nipple charger full of 4f so I can blast out a stubborn charge of Pyrodex in case Rio caps don't set it off.

I can get real BP I just like to experiment

I rolled up about 30 cartridges, with sized .577 Minies hot lubed with Alox / Beeswax. Basically a knockoff of the "Javelina " or whatever it is.

60 grains of Triple 7 "2f"

20230104_104118.jpg

20230104_104309.jpg

Every round ignited instantly with Rio musket caps, no stubborn ignition . The last Minie went down as smooth as the first . No crud ring like the 777 3f gave me in my Pedersoli.

It was my first time out with this Euroarms Zouave I got from a fellow member. Some rifles like 777, some don't. Zouave repros , in my experience, do well with igniting subs with their direct flash channel. Repro 61 Springfields like my ArmiSport get hinky with subs.

Accuracy was good, fouling was nonexistent and everything went boom. I love the Holy Black and you can't replace it, and I shoot lots of BP but the subs can be convenient for a quick range trip. There's no doubt about that. Plus I can grab 777 at my local sporting goods stores.

The Alox played nice with the Triple 7, since Triple 7 lives in some weird lawless zone in between blackpowder and semi-smokeless.

Cleanup was a breeze, my flash channel is spotless and I left the range with a clean rifle after 5 minutes of work.

Back