• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Firenze flintlock pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flibuste

36 Cal.
Reaction score
This is a Belgian replica manufactured circa 1970, a few years before the closing of Belgian replica era.

Ironically it is copied from an Italian original pistol that was in Liege (Belgium) museum.

This Italian pistol was typical production of a town named "Firenze" (hence the name in French : "pistolet "Florentin") and representative of the period.

Some Pics of a pair:

floren11.jpg
floren12.jpg
floren13.jpg
floren15.jpg

And now, shooting at 25meters :

it is smoothbore of course and cal.50 ; all balls punched the target ; as you can see it is very long but not heavy ( as were original pistols, contrary to contemporary replica)

06510.jpg

3 versions were proposed at the time :

-none engraving and brass furniture
- partially engraved with silvered furniture (the one of this topic)
- fully engraved and gold furniture

Maybe some arrived in the USA ?

regards

Never seen anything like those pistols here, but then most of the folks I run with don't carry fancy pistols. Nice shooting by the way.

Many Klatch

Yip Very nice pair. What size barrel? By the looks of the target overall length 19 inches?

Those are the pistols that Dixie Gun Works listed for years as "Florentine Holster Flintlock Pistol" though their tiny black & white catalog photo certainly didn't do them any justice. They were listed as having "walnut stock, antique silver finish, with engraving", which certainly agrees with your excellent photos. Since they were priced at $209.50 in the mid-1970's, which was over twice the price of other flintlock pistols then available, don't know anyone who was willing to invest that kind of cash in something no one had actually seen or touched. Too bad, those guns are beautiful. Learn something new everyday! Thanks for posting them.

Dixie Gun Works listed for years as "Florentine Holster Flintlock Pistol" though their tiny black & white catalog photo

here is a PIC of the manufacturer catalog :

raick210.jpg

I am trying to collect some info and history on these pistols

Would anyone have a PIC or a scan of the DGW page that show these pistols ?

thanks

Seriously chasing something like this for flint smoothbore matches BUT Iam in Australia :(

I have no way of scanning, but if you check ABE books or even Ebay you can always find old DGW catalogs.
That's where I got mine (#119, not dated, but from 68 or 69). They are usually inexpensive, and everyone should have one or two just to see what was available "back when".In my catalog the pistol is listed at $145. A Navy Arms Kentucky pistol in the same catalog is $89.95 as are most, if not all, of the repo revolvers. Real Honest-to-God Colt S/A revolvers are $175.00!!!!!

shooting the red cal54 one at 25 meters :

dscf0010.jpg

and a period (1970) advertisement :

floren16.jpg

regards

Back