• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD George Washington Flintlock Pistols. U.S. Historical Society.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have here for sale a set of the U.S. Historical Society's George Washington Flintlock Pistols. These pistols are identical copies of the ones gifted to Washington, while he was in the field during the revolution, by an admirer, that now reside at West Point.
Those familiar with the U.S. Historical Society recall it came into being at the bi-centenial and for a number of years made a lucrative business of recreating historical weapons to a very high standard and mareting them to those with more money than sense as instant collectables. Their first issue as I recall was Washington's sword. These pistols were the second issue and 975 sets were made and sold for $3995 each. While in todays dollars that would not seem exorbitant in 1976 that was equivalent to around $20,000 in todays dollars. To get that kind of money even from the uninformed the issues had to be made to a high and exacting standard as these pistols were. Initially they were to be made in Belgium but the Belgian smiths could not meet the quality standard set so the Society turned to Aldo Uberti to produce the pistols. The Society was granted access to photograph in detail and take measurements of the originals by West Point and Uberti fulfilled the contract. Uberti also produced all other issues but one that being the Hege Siber target pistol.
The pistols are .58 cal bronze barreled, walnut stocked and all mountings are sterling silver just as the originals. The locks are in the white, have half cock safetys and are marked Hawkins who was the maker of the originals. The pistols carry the same engraving as the originals and are housed in a walnut case with two separate pockets for accessories.
Both pistols have been sparked as noted on the frizzens and one has been fired a few times by myself and dillegently cleaned. There are no other detractions except for a light toning of some of the silver and the bronze barrels.
An interesting note is the Feb 2022 issue of the American Rifleman has a several page article on the provinance of the original pistols and a mention that they had been duplicated by the U.S. Historical Society in 1976. If requested I will provide a copy of the article to whoever purchases the pistols. While these issues were terrible investments to the original buyer they offer a unique opportunity today as shooting examples of historical arms. My price is $2100 plus shipping and insurance anywhere in the CONUS it is legal to ship to. Payment by postal money order or personal check with time to clear.

Attachments

• Flint1.JPG
    Flint1.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 143
  • Flint2.JPG
    Flint2.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 172
  • Flint3.JPG
    Flint3.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 165
  • Flint4.JPG
    Flint4.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 171
  • Flint5.JPG
    Flint5.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 147
  • Flint6.JPG
    Flint6.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 138
  • Flint7.JPG
    Flint7.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 139
  • Flint8.JPG
    Flint8.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 142
  • Flint9.JPG
    Flint9.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 133
  • Flint10.JPG
    Flint10.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 124
I know from cannon stuff, a full load is about 10-12,000 psi and bronze can handle 70,000ish, steel about 120,000 ish.

So id say you are safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back