• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fire danger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For those of you that are hunting in dry country with patched round balls are you ever concerned about starting a fire? I started some weeds on fire two different times at the range with burned patches. Does a wad over powder eliminate that danger? My TC Hawken shoots better with a patched ball than with the conicals I’ve tried but I live in an extremely dry part of the country so I haven’t used them for hunting.
Stan

I have never had a well-lubed patch catch fire. If the over-powder wad is not lubed, it can add to the concern. ALL of it is exposed to the fire. Dry lubed patches would be a concern for me. For hunting, I prefer a well-lubed patch over spit or dry lubed patches.

ADK Bigfoot

I was using pre-lubed patches at the time although they may have been a bit dried out. Maybe I should add a bit of lube to them.
I use a beeswax mixture I make but you can also use mink oil, olive oil, and many other choices. I also keep the fire risk in mind but just haven't had that problem yet.

You are smart to be concerned about starting a fire with your ML rifle. It is a major issue now a days. I have started a few fires on some woods-walks using "the dry patch method" and I was glad that there were a few fire extinguishers around at the time. I no longer use the dry patch method. It is not only a smoldering patch you have to worry about but the un-burned embers expelled out from the barrel.

And now you know - the rest - of the story.
:), you just "dated" yourself with that one,
I sure miss Paul, a lot of construction site lunch breaks with the radio tuned to that.
An Icon of American freedom and common sense!

To @StanD , I'm not sure if the wad will do it, I've had a few smolder in the grass and catch,
Just gotta stay ever vigilante if your in those dry conditions.

Thank you all, I appreciate the comments. I’m not concerned at the range, there is nothing to burn but a few weeds and the area is totally contained with high burms on both sides. Out in the woods is what concerns me so I’ve been looking for a conical that might shoot well enough to hunt with. Sabots shoot very well out of my TC, Maxi balls and Maxi Hunters do not. At one time I had a Lee Real 300 grain mold but I couldn’t get it to shoot so I gave it away. I just ordered a Lee Real 380 gr. and I’ll try that. If that works then that’s what I’ll hunt with but I’d rather just use a round ball if I could be confident that I wouldn’t start a fire.. I haven’t been able to find my patches lately as the ground is so covered with manure that my old eyes cant pick them out. I’m using a .015 patch, anything thicker would be too hard to load in this rifle. Next time I’ll add some more lube the patches and try that. Thanks

Stan

Latest posts

Back