• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finished Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hud

32 Cal.
Reaction score
There is not a particular style for this horn, I am going to give it to my Dad for his 60th B-day. This was my first real attempt at scrimshaw, and I think I need lots more practice. :eek: Just thought I would post some picts for you all to see..

PA200008.jpg

PA200007.jpg

PA200006.jpg

nice you have done a great job :front:.i think your dad will be proud of it.i like the strap made of braided leather nice.you did a hreat job at the skrimshaw.does your dad shoot black powder?great job :m2c:

This was my first real attempt at scrimshaw, and I think I need lots more practice.
I think it came out pretty good. I'm kinda partial to buffalos :)

The scroll beneath the bison is a neat idea. I can't quite read what I says but I reckon it's a name.

And I'm fascinated by the arms there on the inside of the curve - a chevron between three crescents? Looks mighty close to one knocking around my family. That is a nice touch.

What did you use to dye the scrimshaw? Looks good - not overpowering dark. What did you use to cut the engrailing between the white body and dark spout?

I used India Ink that is made for using in Rapedigraph drafting pens, it seems to work really well. I started the engrailing with a really small gouge, but found it was much easier to do with a dremmel tool. :shocking:

The Crest on the inside of the curve is our family crest "Hudspeth" or so the company that I bought it from says :hmm: Dad used to be into Muzzleloading very heavy in the mid to late 70's. I remember going to several shoots with him. He has not done it since then, and last year I talked him into going the the Horse Ridge Rendezvous. He had a great time, as well as myself. We are leaving tomorrow for a Blackpowder hunt in Eastern Oregon, and his birthday is Monday, its good timing, I think he will like it... :)

HY HUD, I wish the horn I made looked that good, don,t worry about the horn, I lost my dad when I was 13, JUST SPEND TIME WITH YOU,R DAD.......IT IS TIME YOU CANNOT REPLACE,EVER.... :thumbsup:

Nice work!I have to work on my kids,seems I'm the one makeing the horns for Them.I'll have to drop a stronger hint,like,"MAKE YOUR FATHER A HORN" Keep up the good work,looks really great. :front:

I think you did a fine job you should be proud and i'am sure your Dad will love it I would !!!

Back