• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally - Treasure Island done correctly

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I lent it to acquaintance Dick today, who pretended he'd never seen or heard of Christian Bale nor seen any of the Batman movies, Equilibrium, American Psycho, that Terminator movie, etc. I'd previously lent him over the years -- that would be beneath him because those were filmed in color you see.

I am again being asked for updates... Well, I'll let you all know if this movie Macresonated with Dick at Kwanza, 2015.

I have a coat based on the billie bones coat from that movie I think I got it from Bradley Company of the Fox

I must admit a great fondness for the Disney version with Robert Newton as Silver. I have just always liked that guy. He was terrifying as the murderous bully Bill in David Lean's version of "Oliver Twist."
I realize the Disney version drifts from the Stevenson's original, which I read long ago. Thing is, I remember seeing it as a kid in the 1950s, probably in two or three parts on the "Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color."
I will find and watch the Heston version.

Disney was fun. 20,000 leagues under the sea was a far cry from the book...but I still enjoy it. Fess Parker as Davy Crocket was great. And playing 'the scarecrow 'as a boy filled me with many hours of fun.

For those interested Treasure Island with Wallace Beery will be aired on TCM Sat. at 8 am. I just set my machine to record it.
Cheerrrrs
RFMcD

I am about to view the movie again. Some follow-up questions before they intrude on my enjoyment.

Circa early 1750s, the time where I date the story to take place, I agree that Trelawney, Livesey, and Jim would obtain more than the other members of the treasure hunters. Smolett would have received a handsome amount, less than the "owners"; Hunter and Joyce less, still receiving more money than they would otherwise have in their entire lives.

But the bug in the soup is Ben Gunn. While he is a non-entity within the treasure hunters and crew, he found the treasure. And it must be remembered that the treasure is stolen loot, belonging to whoever gets it - Ben Gunn.

But Ben Gunn needs the treasurer hunters to get off the island to enjoy his loot. And Ben Gunn had been a pirate with Flint and murdered one of the pirates to throw fear into all of them. So he is no casper milquetoast.

So distribution of the treasure becomes less obvious for me. I don't see Trelawney and Livesy allotting a meager sum to him. I don't see Jim allowing it anyway. And I don't see Ben Gunn with putting up with less than his "fair share," the phrase that got him marooned in the first place.

Anyone with input I will appreciate. . . . Yeah, trivialities sometimes gnaw away at me like an ulcer.

I GOTTA SEE IT!!! I loved the Disney version, until I later read the book......however, it's still ok and better than the sequal LONG JOHN SILVER (also with Robert Newton as Long John Silver)....AND the bloody awful mini-series that came out in the 90s I believe it was.

It's fun to watch BLACK SAILS and think of the characters when they were younger and how they turned out as they got older......for those who did.

My ONLY issue with BLACK SAILS is sex, sex, sex every 5 minutes.

Well, stop having it and PAY ATTENTION TO THE SHOW. What a thing to complain about!

Sorry gang...nobody will ever beat Wallace Beery, Jackie Cooper and Lionel Barrymore! If you can't appreciate the fun...the Mr. Magoo version may be for you! :rotf:

Alden said:
Well, stop having it and PAY ATTENTION TO THE SHOW. What a thing to complain about!

IF a show has to fill 1/4 of it's running time with T&A, it kinda ruins things. I love THE GOLDEN AGE OF PIRACY.......but as this show has progressed, they fill more and more time with sex it starts to get lame.

Wes/Tex said:
Sorry gang...nobody will ever beat Wallace Beery, Jackie Cooper and Lionel Barrymore!

And here I was wishing someone HAD beat Wallace Beery, Jackie Cooper, and Lionel Barrymore. So bad...

Figured there would be a post on this old movie ! Just on the other day again so I watched it for the venerable converted trapdoor rifle and surprisingly (as far as I could tell with DVR pause and rewind) that most /all muskets looked and acted authentic and so did pistols :thumbsup:

SamTex:

By 1990 reproduction firearms, swords, and clothing were easily acquired. Southbend Replicas and others were manufacturing antique cannon. Hispaniola was built for a 1980s version of "Mutiny on the Bounty," I believe. And Charlton Heston and his son had the ability and desire to maintain verisimilitude to enhance viewer enjoyment. I cannot conceive of anything less likely than silly weaponry or accoutrements being present in this motion picture.

Heck. Producers were able to "get it right" in the 1934 version of "The Scarlet Pimpernel" and the 1952 version of "Scaramouche." So why not in 1990?

Ah, YES! One of my favorites.

The one and only, Scarlet Pumpernickel! :grin:

http://www.toon.is/looney-tunes-the-scarlet-pumpernickel-video_d02baeb07.html

Sorry. The devil made me do it. :grin:

years ago Bradley company of the Fox offered a Billy Bones coat, a basic frock coat with a caped shoulder,based on the one he wore in this movie for a very nice price. It was a simple canvas frock coat , unlined .I found the cape to get in my way so I cut it off. Still wearing it from time to time.

Back