• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally shot my 1851

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtmattison

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I put a few balls through my 1851 this evening. Had a good time at a family get-together. a few of us shot it. Even my 10 year old boy (his first shot with anything bigger than a .22).
We had a blast...pun intended.

The only peeve I have is I had to pluck EVERY cap off after the shot because the spent caps bound the cylinder. I guess I have to get used to that.

All in all it was fun.

HD

What flavor caps and how much of a charge did you use? A soft copper cap and 20 grains in a .36 and 25-30 grains in a .44 will usually rupture the cap and let it fall off when the gun is cocked for the next shot on Colt style revolvers. The Remingtons are a little more problematic in this area. Glad you had some fun. :thumbsup:

I was shooting 25 grains Goex 3f, wad, and roundball with Remington #10's.

Shooting at about 10 paces it was hitting about 6-8 inches high but I hear this is common with Colts.

Oh yeah, and when I got home I figured out that cleaning these buggers really sucks. It took me just as long to clean as my rifles.
I am slightly anal about how clean my guns are so that might be why it seemed like such a pain.
I guess once I get used to it cleaning won't be so bad.

HD

You will become more efficient, and thus cleaning it will take less and less time, but it will still take the same amount of effort, so, yes, you'll need to get used to that.

With respect to the caps: if they are loose enough to fall away, into the frame/cylinder gaps, then perhaps a little trick known to some as 'the gunfighter's flip' will help. It will take some practice to get right, but once it's mastered the cap problem is almost solved.

Essentially, it's this: AFTER proper follow-through technique is executed, and as you start to cock the hammer for the next shot, rotate the muzzle upward and simultaneously roll it to the right. You should reach full cock with the muzzle at about 30 degrees up and rolled about 45 degrees right. The motion of the cylinder will bring the spent cap to the recess on the right side of the frame and the position of the gun will allow it to fall away freely.

Hard to describe, but once you've tried it a few times you'll get the hang of it. Don't exaggerate the motions or it becomes unsafe; muzzle control is extremely important. Practice unloaded (live caps, no ball or powder) several times before trying it for real.

It won't work every time; some caps are just born to crawl down between the cylinder and the frame and you can't stop those, but it will reduce the number of incidents substantially.

Huntin Dawg said:
Oh yeah, and when I got home I figured out that cleaning these buggers really sucks. It took me just as long to clean as my rifles.
I am slightly anal about how clean my guns are so that might be why it seemed like such a pain.
I guess once I get used to it cleaning won't be so bad.

HD

There's no need to completely tear it down every time you clean it. I just remove the grips and cylinder. The metal parts go in hot soapy water including the frame assembly. Swish the frame around and set it aside to drain while you clean the barrel and cylinder. Spray the action out with WD-40 to displace any water left and spray it again with Remoil, just don't get Remoil in the bore or chambers. Once everything is dried off and reassembled wipe the exterior down with whatever oil suits your fancy. I tear mine down maybe once a year and no rust or fouling buildup.

I have got to say, that all in all the 1851 is really my favorite cap and ball pistol.

I have read here before that some run their pistols through the dishwasher with great success :hmm:

I have never tried it, but may in the future.

Some of the cheap imported screw drivers from China are zinc plated copper. You should buy two and grind each one down to obtain a perfect fit for the large and small screws. I too am a fanatic on a clean gun so I strip the whole thing down and give all parts a hot, soapy water bath, scrubbing with q-tips and tooth brushes for all the small areas, etc. Then a clean water rise, then a few paper swabs to remove as much water as possible, then a hot air blow drier to totally dry, then an oily rag over all, and then re-assemble. While you are doing all this look at the trigger nose, hammer notches, etc for signs of wear/ breakage, etc.

I'm one of the ones that uses a dishwasher. Break a Colt type down to cylinder, frame and barrel. It will take a patch or two in each cylinder and down the barrel before putting it in the dishwasher. Make sure the cylinder and barrel are up and down so water will run through them. Take them out while still hot, spray down with WD40 and wipe dry, then use Remoil or something similar. I've had my 1860 .44 for many years and put a lot of rounds through it. My wife is so glad to have me doing the dishes she doesn't ask about any pistols in the dishwasher. graybeard

Back