• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

finally refinished fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lethemgo

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Finally....a year later and I finally got around to refinishing her. Brought more of the stripping out in the maple...striped it down stained lancaster maple and some tung oil. Touched up the brown on barrel...might do it all again sometime but now there'll be time to sight her in and be ready to rondevous. She shoots a little low and a buddy said we should bend the barrel. I don't know...might just put a rear sight on. Kind of like to hit where I aim.

Okay, so she shoots a little low. Hmm, you can send her to me, bend the barrel, put on a rear sight, or adjust your cheek to stock anchor point. Putting on a rear sight or changing your anchor accomplish the same end result. You are raising your help sighting eye and raising your point of impact.

Since I already have too many smooth bores, I think you need to alter point to raise your eye. You will find that your ball will be hitting where you aim. It's sometimes difficult for a rifle shooter to get used to larger field of view that includes a view of the sight riding on the barrel. Once you get used to your new anchor, you will find your performance improving with the shot loads. The center of the shot pattern will rise. To me, a rear sight just breaks up the clean lines of a fowler as nice as yours.

I like a hold that gives the appearance of the sight above a similar height of barrel.

I really haven't shot it much...figured I'd spend some time and just figure it out. Going from octagon to round and a good taper down to the end of barrel figured I just need to figure it out. Guy told me to just bring front sight up till it peaks over the tang. Might work on his but not mine. Might just have to bring it up so it peaks over octagon to round junction. I'll get it...
dang just going to have to shot more.

I visualize a pencil lying across the breech and then the base of the front sight sits on that.

And I will - and have - bent a barrel or two to match the point of 'aim' with the realized point of impact, for my designated range and load combination.

Bending a barrel is simple ... the first time I made up a jig/fixture to hold the barrel and took measurements to the 0.001" ... on the last one I just removed it, put it under a sturdy bench and gave it a good pull. Hit dead in the X @ 50-yards too, as witnessed by 6 highpower shooters who had just walked off the 200Y target line ... wondering what all the smoke was about ...

Latest posts

Back