• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally got to shoot my Pedersoli Kentucky rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Boylan

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, it's been a while since I took delivery on my Pedersoli Kentucky rifle. I finally got to shoot it this last week. Took it to a range about 30 miles from home. This is my first flintlock and I was a bit nervous about how it would go my first time out. I really took care not to dryball my first time. I did a good job of paying attention to loading and getting it ready for that first shot. Followed all of the suggestions on here, and from videos I have and ones I've watched on YouTube.

All of it paid off. My first shot was a blank load. I put powder down the barrel, loaded a wad over it. Put powder in the priming pan and when i pulled the trigger BOOM!

I was quite surprised by the shot. I didn't even notice the flash from the pan. I was watching the front sight with so much concentration I never saw the flash. I was very pleased.

I then loaded up a .45 ball and it went BOOM again. I was off and running. I put about 15 rounds down range and the only problem I encountered was my flint got dull at around the 10th shot.

Heck, I didn't swab the barrel with a spit patch until the 10th round. Didn't really need it then, but I did it just because.

My rifle is a single trigger job. I had people keep coming up and watching and commenting how "darn cool" that rifle is. One woman and her daughter watched me shoot 3 or 4 rounds down range and just loved watching "that gun" go off. The daughter even took pictures of my rifle. They thought it was such a beautiful gun.

I had a number of guys keep coming over to watch it fire. Including the range manager. He talked with me about it after wards and admitted that he loved to watch me shoot it and see all the fire when it went off.

My accuracy at 50 yards could be a bit better. I kept all rounds in the 8, 9 and 10 ring. I need to work on getting better. But you couldn't pry the smile off of my face with a jackhammer.

I'm hooked.

PS. Has anyone checked out the excellent DVD video by Don Bruton "Thoughts on loading and firing a Flintlock Rifle in a traditional manner"?

I bought a copy of it off of ebay and really enjoy it. He gives a lot of good info on his method and ideas.

WARNING! WARNING! Shooting Flintlocks is addictive! There is no cure only treatment. To treat you must shoot more and more! :hmm: :idunno: :hmm:

Yes it is very addictive. I've been wanting a flintlock for years and finally took the plunge when I got my bonus from work this year. I found my pedersoli used on gunbroker and got it for a little over $500. Before I even shot it I bought a little jukar flintlock pistol in .45 to go with my Kentucky. I still need to take it out and give it a try.

I'm going to start treating the sickness as you suggest, by going out and shooting it more and more. I think I'll start another thread called "what's in your possible bag" where we show the items we've collected to help with our enjoyment of our shooting time.

Heck, I've even been getting primitive fire starting tools so I can get good at doing that function too. I may not have found a good time machine, but I can open my gun safe, my possible bag and travel back in time and enjoy myself. :thumbsup:

Hey Iowa, I'm sharing your smile. Welcome and thanks.

'course that's a fine, well-respected, gun (despite what Mrs. Jim Chambers may tell the unsuspecting novice) and OK shooting on your part too I'd say.

I shoot lefthanded flints and righthanded percussion rifles. It's fun to have a crowd gather to watch, but to set the hook into a potential blackpowder shooter, it's fun to let them actually fire it.

It seems that teenage girls are eswpecially interested in smoke and flames, and I've never had one turn down a chance to fire any of the rifles, in fact one wanted to learn how to load, so I showed her how, watched her for several rounds, then turned her loose (with her Dad watching her) with a handful of balls, primers and powder.
\More than one has mentioned "NOW I know what I want for my birthday" ...

IowaShooter said:
I found my pedersoli used on gunbroker and got it for a little over $500.

That's not a bad price for one in good shape these days. I'm glad you're having fun with it. I think with a little experimentation you'll find it's a great shooter. Mine is.

And I also have Don's video, it's pretty good. The bloopers gave me a chuckle.

I had my pedersoli Pennsylvania at the range a while back and a group of younger shooters were a few lanes down with their glock pistols. They were fascinated by the flintlock, so I offered them each a few chances to shoot it. They hooted and cheered with great enthusiasm. They loved the huge smoke clouds produced with each shot. I love it when I can share that experience with others.

Yes Sir, you're hooked. It happened to me a few weeks back and I have since :surrender: to the addiction. Enjoy it, it only get's worse, woops, I mean better

AZbpBurner said:
It seems that teenage girls are eswpecially interested in smoke and flames, and I've never had one turn down a chance to fire any of the rifles, in fact one wanted to learn how to load, so I showed her how, watched her for several rounds, then...

Always something new, interesting, and useful to learn here as everyone says... THANKS brother!
:grin:

To all, yes this gun is a hoot to shoot. I love the flames and smoke and I could tell that everyone who watched me shoot it did as well. I did think, afterwards, that I should have offered a few of those more interested, a chance to shoot it for themselves. I guess I was just caught up in the excitement and still just as tickled as could be that it was firing and working as I hoped it would. As I gain confidence in my abilities with my rocklock I can see where I'll do my best to bring others into the fold.

Thanks for all of the words of encouragement. I sure am hooked. Now my wife has one more of my hobbies to worry about. :haha:

Jumpshot said:
IowaShooter said:
I found my pedersoli used on gunbroker and got it for a little over $500.

That's not a bad price for one in good shape these days. I'm glad you're having fun with it. I think with a little experimentation you'll find it's a great shooter. Mine is.

And I also have Don's video, it's pretty good. The bloopers gave me a chuckle.

My gun is pretty much brand new. I think the previous owner only shot it a few times. He said that he has quite a few flinters and had to thin the herd. That is why he was selling the one I bought.

The bloopers in Dan's video are a hoot. I hope he brings out the other instructional videos he is talking about. I sure would like to buy a majority of them.

Alden said:
'course that's a fine, well-respected, gun (despite what Mrs. Jim Chambers may tell the unsuspecting novice) ...
Hey! I resemble that remark!

Just thought I would admit right here that I paid $100 for my Pedersoli Kentucky 45 in excellent condition. It was in the gun shop of an old fellow in South Carolina who wanted everything gone, so he could shut it down and go home.

LOL Well, everyone has to start somewhere and not everyone has the most informed, objective, and/or rational opinions...

Like the inviting parking lot of an old roadside tourist trap a fur trade museum makes. That self-loading rifles are not for common citizens. That grits are. That life is like a box of chocolates...

You either got the deal of the century on that particular Kentucky or your money's worth -- jury's still out it seems to me.

From one Iowa boy to another...... Welcome to flintlocks! I got my first ( a Pedersoli/Cabelas Blue Ridge 50 flinter) a couple months back and know exactly what you mean about that smile!! They are so much fun that I now own a Pecatonic Virginia kit in a 45 flint to work on for my winter project. Does seem that one flint leads to another!! Good luck with it and good luck hunting this fall if you take it out! Greg. :)

Critter Getter said:
From one Iowa boy to another...... Welcome to flintlocks! I got my first ( a Pedersoli/Cabelas Blue Ridge 50 flinter) a couple months back and know exactly what you mean about that smile!! They are so much fun that I now own a Pecatonic Virginia kit in a 45 flint to work on for my winter project. Does seem that one flint leads to another!! Good luck with it and good luck hunting this fall if you take it out! Greg. :)

Thank you for the welcome and good comments. I've never been a hunter. Never even thought about it much really. But this gun has kind of awoken an interest in taking it out and getting a few meals with it. Maybe squirrel. Maybe rabbit. Maybe deer. I've been watching some of the youtube vids of guys hunting with flintlocks and to me that is real hunting. Once I get comfortable with the gun and start getting my shot group a little tighter I may have to take the plunge into flintlock hunting.

WOW and I thought my gun was a good deal. One pedersoli for $225 and another for $100. WOW

I wish I could come across deals like that. I'd be on it like Oprah on a canned ham.

Back