• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally blooded the Country Hunter!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwfeatherston

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Finally, the weather came right and I got out amongst the rabbits today. It's been too easy with the shotguns & .22, so I took my .50 Pedersoli Country Hunter out.

Flushed the first one- rifle came up, hammer back and 'pop'

Thought I had got round that problem, by going to FFFG.

Give the lock a few thumps and put another cap on. Up pops another rabbit- 'pop'

(explicatives deleted)

Pulled the nipple off- no powder in the drum. I really need to get some pipe cleaners- I think the powder is sticking to the oil that I thought I had flushed out with alcohol.

Trickle a few grains into the drum and replace the nipple.

After wandering about and checking out a few jobs out by the boundary fence, another one popped up at my feet- this time- up and swing through, just like shotgunning- 'BOOM!' and he disappeared in the smoke. When the smoke cleared, he was still thrashing about, so I headed over with my knife, to find I had blown his head clean off- all that was left was an ear and the back legs were on autopilot!

That's one less eating my new trees!

Congratulation! I will fire off a cap or two on a clean barrel to blow out the oil from the flash hole. Seems to work as I have not had a misfire while hunting yet. Knock on wood! ::

After you prep the barrel for storage, run a dry paper towel patch down the barrel and leav eit there. Store the gun up side down standing on the ramrod and patch in place. Any moisture or oil will wick out to the dry paper towel during storage. Pop a cap on an empty barrel and then run a dry patch down on the jag. Pop the second cap with the patchin place. When you pull it, you can see exactly how well your cap is doing on the fire reaching the barrel. Get a 22 or 177 jag and a regular cleaning rod if you have troubles and clean down inside the patent breach area with patches. Run a qtip in to the patent breech trhru the flash channel using a twisting motion going in and coming out so the cotton doesn't pull off before popping the first cap on the gun.

I shot pyrodex for 20 years. I am pretty paranoid about the missfire issue. I have done all of the above at one time or another. I now store the guns upside down with a paper towel patch in place. I remove the clean out screw and use qtips to swab that clean and dry. I then pop one cap to blow any obstruction from the channel/breech with the barrel pointed down at the grass of dirt or something that will move. If the channel is clear, the grass will move and there is a hollow sound almost. Then I run a dry patch in and pop a second cap. I load and then put a couple of grains of powder under the nipple. Gun goes off every time! I know it sounds like a lot of hassle, but it is just part of my loading proccess anymore. Once it becomes habit, it only takes a few extra seconds.

I pop a couple of caps before I head out, which hasn't helped.

it seems quite clear that I'm not getting the drum & chamber free of oil, so I will try hanging the gun up muzzle down- a squirt of carburetter cleaner through the cleaning screw hole might be worth a try, as well.

I think putting a few grains under the nipple, or at least checking there is powder there is the answer- a minute doing that has got to beat a misfire on the first shot of the day!

I only have the problem for the first shot, then everything works fine.

I have a lot more respect for those old-timers who had to live with these guns and have them fire first time, every time!

Every once in a while at the range I'll check to see if I'm getting proper spark to the charge. After my barrel is clean (and EMPTY) I'll take a synthetic style cleaning patch. I'll run it down my barrel all the way to the back and pop a cap off. I've never had a ram rod go flying out the end as some have warned. At most it moves 1/8". That said point it in a safe direction down range anyways.

If my barrel is clean of junk, the end of the ramrod where the synthetic patch is will be burnt. The patch will actually have one big burn hole or smaller holes if it's partually obstructed.

If it is partially obstructed, I'll pop another cap and that usually ends up with a burnt hole on the patch. Been doing this for years on several of my guns.

Back