• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fillers in C&P revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hidy!

I'm about to get serious on working up loads for my "58 Remington and my .44 Colt revolver. What loads are working for you guys for the tightest groups and what kind of fillers are you using? I have used cornmeal but it is hard to get it to load from a flask. Basically a pain in the neck.I have a flask for powder and another'n fer filler. How do you guys get 'er done and still have fun at it?
That's Cooner w/o a r :grin:

I use Cream of Wheat in a plastic CVA powder flask. Works fine and does not crush down like corn meal. Get regular Cream of Wheat, not instant. Have fun, Jim

I use wads or cream of wheat. Wads give slightly better groups, but cream of wheat is easier to use and keeps barrel fouling down better. I keep promising myself I'll choose one method or the other, but it hasn't happened yet.

If you're not too traditional-minded, try one of those squeezy plastic ketchup dispensers you can buy at the supermarket for your cornmeal. Makes it real easy to fill each revolver chamber with just a squeeze or two. For Cream Of Wheat, I have success using a metal pistol flask with a spout I trimmed to throw a specific volume for my Ruger Old Army since the COW does not compress very much as was noted by Jim/OH. Twenty-four grains of 3fg topped with 20 grains (volume) of COW allows enough room for me to seat the ball just below the mouth of each chamber.

The only time the above formula doesn't work is when I put the Cream Of Wheat in first :doh: but at least it is easy to see my mistake prior to seating the ball!

I am new here and would like to thank all you good folks for providing me with many hours of informative reading and great advice.

Thanks fellas. I appreciate the advise and especially the have fun part. I went to the range today and had a great time shooting my "58 Remington for the first time in ages. I have been too busy sighting in my rifles for the past few months. It was like getting to know an old friend all over again. :applause:

What the heck is Pyrodex??? :rotf:

Oh!!! Well...a feller has to do what he has to do to get 'em ta go, BANG!!! I reckon. :wink:
I was jist teasin' ya anyways Reb. :grin:

I know. Believe me I'd rather shoot the real thing but I can't buy enough to justify the hazmat charges and the closest place to buy it is a 260 mile round trip.

Instead of using filler, is it kosher to use double wads?

In my .36 caliber Colt Navy, if I use 18 grains of FFFG and an ox-yoke wad, there is still a little gap once the ball is seated. A double wad would do the trick in terms of closing the gap.

Any dangers in using double wads (18 grains of FFFG + 2 wads + ball)?

Or would 18 grains of FFG + filler (eg corn meal) + wad + ball be better?

Double wads would be fine! Especially in the dry winter months, the extra wad would mean a little more lube to keep the fouling soft in a drier climate.

Dave

smokin .50 said:
Double wads would be fine! Especially in the dry winter months, the extra wad would mean a little more lube to keep the fouling soft in a drier climate.

Dave

Thanks! That saves me the trouble of dealing with filler. The next time at the range I am going to try using pre-measured paper cartridges (paper ladies), pre-measured with 18 grains of FFFG. I do this when I have time with my two rifles and it helps speeds things up at the range. It should speed things up with loading my Colt.

I was on a long conference call earlier this week and have a hands free speaker. So while on the call I broke out the paper ladies, my FFFG and measured out 18 cartridges. Since it's such a small load, I stapled the ladies shut and put them in small plastic bags with a sealer, 6 to a bag. Attached is a photo.

Again, I hope this speeds things up at the range.

Do any of you have recommendations on a good capper for #11s in an 1851 Colt Navy? It was around 40 degrees the last time out and it was tough to put the caps on with my fingers.

Thanks!
2352349211_f3b73fea3d_o.jpg

Try the Tedd Cash revolver capper. I've used one for over 10 years and wouldn't be without it.

I like the straight line ones. You have to be careful on the round ones, some have the wrong angle to fit into the cavity, without hitting the frame first.

The only danger is too your pocketbook. That is if you buy those things in those little baggies in the sporting good stores.

COW is cheep! Save those pennies for another side arm!

Pat

you need to get a punch and some duro-felt to make your own. I put the felt in then the Lee slug that I've dipped the base in lube, keeps the powder from being contaminated. the dry lube felts work fine but are $$.
I really enjoy shooting my C&B revolvers, I take 'em on my camping trips.

Plink said:
I use wads or cream of wheat. Wads give slightly better groups, but cream of wheat is easier to use and keeps barrel fouling down better. I keep promising myself I'll choose one method or the other, but it hasn't happened yet.

Plink, do you use any grease over the ball? What do you use?

Back