• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

filler in revolvers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamieorr

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I may already have read the reason for this and forgotten it, but why does it matter whether the ball is close to the end of the chamber? Why use a filler at all? Thanks.

A couple of things.
Closer to the barrel is typically better.
The other thing is that with taper bored chambers the deeper the ball goes into the chamber the smaller it becomes in diameter.

Filler is generally seen as a way to improve accuracy. I've used it in the past, but since most of my revolver shooting is more of the plinking type, I don't mess with it. If I'm hunting with my cap and ball revolvers, I use a full load and no filler is needed.

I also use a greased felt wad over the powder.

Most of my C&B revolver shooting these days is at targets But I do use about 1/3 filler on top of the charge to be sure the ball is as close to the cylinder face as possible. Not only is this significantly more accurate, but my chronograph shows that is does not give away much velocity. My 1860 Army "Colt" will allow about 39-40 grains of FFFg black powder and still load the ball to be flush with the cylinder face. The "Boom" and flash with this load is quite spectacular (Chrongraph at average 920fps),But accuracy is mediocre. Reducing the load to 28 grains of FFg and about 11 grains (measure) of cream of wheat results in the ball seated flush with the cylinder face and chronograph readings of average 880-900 fps.Accuracy is MUCH better. Fouling is reduced as well. I have tried corn meal, grits, plastic shot buffer, felt wads, and Puff-Lon, but none work as well as :Old-fashioned" cream of wheat for accuracy and high velocity.

GoodCheer,
I did not know revolvers had tapered bores in the cylinder. What is the purpose of a taper? Once the bullet starts to move it will loose any compressed seal. Help me understand why they are tapered.
Thanks
Flintlocklar :hmm:

curator,
Interesting post! My Remington revolver does not get much use, although very accurate. 2 questions..... Do you put grease over your CofW? One big drawback for me on the revolver is used cap fragments getting into the moving parts and causing shooting hic ups. Any help here would be appreciated.
Flintlocklar
:idunno:

The only cylinders I can think of that had tapered chambers were Thurer Colt cartridge conversions.
I have four cap-n-ball revolvers and none of them have tapered chambers as I have checked them with a split ball gauge.
Some have two diameter chambers like the models 51.

M.D. said:
Taper bored chambers?

Yep:

It has been a long time ago but yes, I have seen some and chain fire was much more common.
Why they did tapered chambers in the cylinder I have no idea but some did.

Some had a brass hand, did not last long.
Some of the brass frame gun were so soft they would beat themselves to death.
Some would pull the cylinder pin out of the frame when you tried to load them.

Not really made for using just for looking at. :idunno:
Not all guns were created equal.

William Alexander

Not really, only so much powder can burn before th ball exits the barrel. Anything more than that is wasted on a flame; and apparently negatively affects accuracy.

Hi Larry.

I started using slixshot nipples on my pietta colt 1860 and it almost completely eliminated cap jams.

Recently I watched a video on you tube by Blackie Thomas about cap jams, a technique he spoke of was cutting a very slight notch in the top of the nipple will help stop the problem of caps falling off.

I believe the small difference in velocity between reduced loads with COW filler and full chamber loads is due to the sealing properties of COW. When a fillered load is fired, the COW packs into a hard mass behind the ball. This mass creates a temporary "seal" in the cylinder gap as the ball transitions into the barrel and also prevents any gas blow-by in the bore if the ball does not completely seal the rifling on its own. As has been noted, only so much power can be burned in the short barrel of a revolver anyway. The COW filler also adds its weight to the ball, raising chamber pressure for a more efficient powder burn. The scrubbing effect of the compacted COW "plug" in the bore contributes to accuracy by reducing fouling from previous shots and helping to eliminate its build-up. Loading the ball so it is very close to the cylinder face allows for the minimum lube to be used (just a small ring) which contributes to much cleaner shooting.

In my ROA I use FFg and CoW filler. A dab of the old Hogdon Spit Ball over the ball keeps the bore shining. 90% + of my shooting is target. This combo is VERY accurate.

I agree, I have noticed COW loads have less fouling as well. I did not chronograph them though so had no idea of the efficiency aspect. Good post!

jamieorr said:
I may already have read the reason for this and forgotten it, but why does it matter whether the ball is close to the end of the chamber? Why use a filler at all? Thanks.

I have been told and read that setting the ball as close to the mouth of the chamber as possible will improve accuracy. When my powder charge did not fill the chamber enough to put the ball at the mouth of the chamber, I have used a filler to bring the ball up. I don't know if it actually improved my accuracy, I'm not that good of a shot to be able to tell. Now, I just use a lubricated wad over my powder. It serves as a filler, lubricates as it leaves the chamber and prevents flash overs. I do not use it as a filler, just for its lubricating and preventing flash overs. Any filler that it provides is incidental. So, I don't know if setting the ball close to the mouth of the chamber does actually improve accuracy, I just do it.....it doesn't hurt and may actually help.

Thanks for all the replies,guys. Looks like I'd better get some Cream of Wheat.

Jamie

jamieorr said:
Thanks for all the replies,guys. Looks like I'd better get some Cream of Wheat.

Jamie

I have used a powdered polymer product called Puff-Lon as a filler. That is what it is intended for. It is good stuff and works quite well but is a bit pricy and I can't see that it is much better than Cream of Wheat or corn meal. A jar of it goes a looong way. I don't use it in my muzzleloaders any more but I still use it in my black powder cartridges. I paid enough for it so I have to find a good use for it. It is a great filler for black powder cartridges when the powder charge does not completely fill the cartridge case. When it runs out, I'll go back to corn meal or Cream of Wheat as my filler.

Latest posts

Back