• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Filing down a sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraungie

40 Cal.
Reaction score
The only thing more fun than shooting a cap n ball revolver is hitting what you aim at. I have a colt 1851 navy that shoots a 3" group at 25 yards but it is 12" high. I think I have to take over 1/8" of meat from the top of the hammer. Please check my math. The distance between the front sight and the back sight is 10.5". The distance between the front sight and the target is 25 yards which equals 900". If I divide 900 by 10.5 this gives me 85.71. I think that becomes a ratio between the sight radius and the distance to the target. So now any change I do to the sight elevation will be multiplied by the ratio 85.71 at the target,or I can divide what I want to do at the target by 85.71 and that tells me how far to change the elevation of my sight. So if I want to lower the impact 12" at 25 yds(900") I have to divide 12" by 85.71 which is .14". This now tells me I think, that I have to either raise the front sight or lower the rear sight by .14". I don't want to mess with the front sight so I have to file .14" off of my hammer. If I shave .14" off the hammer the part of the hammer that goes above the nipple will be gone. I am sure the gun will still fire because that part does not hit the cap but I question how safe this is. I think that piece of metal is a guard that keeps the cap from fragmenting and flying upwards. Has anyone done this. Gentleman what are your thoughts.

i have always just cut the notch in the hammer deaper and not altered the hammer hight.

The hammer shroud is there to contain cap debris. One shouldn't reduce its height. Cut the notch deeper and settle the front bead into the notch. It's a little counterintuitive for those used to aligning the front and rear sights at the same elevation plane, but it's easy to get used to.

Dan

Just another thought:
The .140 you calculated is the correct value but it represents the total change needed.

You could add .070 to the front sights height and lower the hammer height (when cocked) .070 for a .140 total change.
By changing both sights the changes to either won't be as noticeable or totally eliminate the cap shield area of the hammer.

The other option is to learn to imagine a dot 12 inches below the bulls eye and aim at it.

I have been trying to imagine the 12" below mark It is kind of tricky. Will removing that guard on the hammer cause me a problem?

Hard to say. Each cap is different. Some fragment, some stay together. I've shot an 1860 with a lot of the hammer shroud filed down and it doesn't seem to hurt too much, but you never know what the next shot will do. Keep in mind, that shroud was put there for a purpose. Mess with it at your own peril...or those standing on either side of you.

I deepened the notch on my 1851 and now it's dead nuts at 10 yards and when the squirrels are too close for the long rifle or the shotgun, the Navy gets called in!

Dan

Thanks Dan I was afraid to flie down that shroud you're right it is there for a reason.

Load depends on whether I'm shooting black or 777, hunting or just making smoke.

For hunting with the .36, I use 20 grains 777 with a wonder wad over the powder and a .375 ball. If I'm shooting black, I load 25 grains of fffg and a wonder wad.

Dan

Zonie said:
Just another thought:
The .140 you calculated is the correct value but it represents the total change needed.

You could add .070 to the front sights height and lower the hammer height (when cocked) .070 for a .140 total change.
By changing both sights the changes to either won't be as noticeable or totally eliminate the cap shield area of the hammer.

The other option is to learn to imagine a dot 12 inches below the bulls eye and aim at it.

Exactly Zoni,
I have Coyote Joe dove tail all my cap an ball guns so I can put on a taller front site.
unless it's a round barrel then he adds the site and I dremmel the rear site to point of aim.

2009_03040027.jpg

Back