• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fiber optic front bead and rear blank for a Lyman GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone know of a fiber optic front sight?

And I need a dovetail blank for the rear factory sight location since I installed a tang mounted peep.

And I need a dovetail blank for the rear factory sight location since I installed a tang mounted peep.
For the rear sight, I installed the extra primitive sight that came with it then filed it down leaving just a small flat portion above the barrel flats, then I blued it. I have the peep also. I’m sure track of the wolf would have what you’re looking for. If they don’t have a front fiber optic, maybe check Williams gunsights. I use the original front blade. I’ve tried applying hi vis sight paint but it always comes off. If I do it again, I’m going to apply the paint, let it dry, remove it with a blade, then epoxy it back on.

I like a very thin front sight. The factory fiber optics I've seen weren't small enough and looked clunky to me. My GPR has a thick blade front sight. I went to ebay and bought a small diameter variety pack that came in various colors. I filed a flat spot on the blade and epoxied my color choice in a diameter that works for me. I now have two rifles like that.

make your fiber front sight, needle file a grove in your front. flebay has archery has coils of the fiber of different dia. n colors red,green, yellow. warm tip of exato blade to melt n not crush for best light tranxfer good luck. mike

I would look at midwayusa.com at front sights. Williams, truglo, marbles make various heights and fiber optic as well as white/gold/silver beads. Depending on your peep height it's going to determine the height of the front sight.to get the proper POI for your given range.

Anyone used a Lyman 17a up front? I like the theory behind the different inserts.
I have one. With the different inserts it's great for target work. Being hooded it doesn't allow much light in it so hunting early morning or late in the evening you might have trouble seeing the front sight.

I put one of these Ranger Point sights on one of my TC Renegades with excellent results. Fits great in the 3/8'' dove tail notch. It is a smaller fiber optic. Only .040 in size. I got mine in green. Much easier to pick out in low light situations. Easier and much better to use for hunting than a front globe sight. See link below.

https://shop.tacticalshit.com/range...ssi-winchester-fiber-optic-front-rifle-sights

Marble arms. Not fiber optic but it seems to do well so far on my GPR. If this doesn’t pan out with my vision, then I’m going to need a yellow fiber optic sight.

Attachments

• IMG_1947.jpeg
    IMG_1947.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Anyone used a Lyman 17a up front? I like the theory behind the different inserts.
Yep, installed one last fall. Far superior for sighting than a fiber optic. I use the thinnest squared post for optimal sight picture. Or you might try a high patridge style target front sight. Optic sights tend to "glow", and the rounded top do not make for the best fine six oclock hold. They are ok for quick point and shoot at short ranges.

I have one installed on one of my sidelocks. It works great at the range in good lighting. However, they may be difficult to use in certain low light hunting situations. I know this from personal experience. Hence the reason I use a small, green fiber optic front sight for hunting along with my Lyman rear peep sight. I am capable of consistently hitting a target the size of a bread toaster out at 200 yds. The bull in my avatar was taken with this set up at 208 yds.

I put one of these Ranger Point sights on one of my TC Renegades with excellent results. Fits great in the 3/8'' dove tail notch. It is a smaller fiber optic. Only .040 in size. I got mine in green. Much easier to pick out in low light situations. Easier and much better to use for hunting than a front globe sight. See link below.

https://shop.tacticalshit.com/range...ssi-winchester-fiber-optic-front-rifle-sights
Thank you for that link. I just put Williams “ Fire sights “ on a T/C barrel to help me to be able to distinguish a sight picture. Typical primitive sights just look like a blur after my lens implants were done. Still struggling with vision issues but the Firesights definitely help. As someone else already mentioned however… they don’t provide a “fine bead”. “ Clunky or chunky ” is a good description. If these fiber optic options work out on my T/C barrels, I’m going to give’em a try on an SMR, 42 “ swamped..🤪.
I know…. Heresy…. But if it keeps me shooting, I’ll grin and bear the comments that will follow from my fellow BP enthusiasts.

I have a fiber optic front (dovetail) sight and a blank for a 3/8 dovetail. Will ship both for $50.

Back