• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

fetch me musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmccombs

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello, my people. I own a musket, which I discovered is in fact a rifle, which I call my musket. I call it this inaccurately so that, when the odd bump in the night should startle me, I might exclaim in apoplectic fear, "fEtCh mE musKeT!!"

Now, the good people at my local gun shop did not require that I fill out the necessary paperwork for this rifle, stating that it is positively not considered a firearm. Then, ominously, the venerable old chap behind me in the checkout line suggested that some muskety-looking things as my new purchase ought to properly shoot right through a tree... without being in any way a firearm.

I am at a loss at this point, my only experience with guns being some considerable exposure to the fearsome video game, DOOM, at which I excel. However, there are no muskets available to the mighty Doom Warrior... alas!

Please help.

I would suggest letting us know where you are located. There are many people on this form that would be happy to help you individually. Or the other option is to find a local club go to a meeting or shoot most of those people are more than willing to help newcomers also

Well, first off. Welcome to the forum. You will find that there can be considerable enjoyment in shooting your musket (?) even though it is not considered a firearm with respect to certain federal firearm descriptions.

Tell us some more about your new purchase. Who made it? What is the caliber? Can you post a picture? Put a post of it in the appropriate forum.

With this musket, you will be able to fire a shot about once a minute or longer between shots.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Yes. Your "musket" or rifle is not considered as a gun by the Federal Government and by many States. This includes all muzzleloading guns or modern made reproductions of them.
In fact, all guns made before 1898 are also excluded from being classified as guns by the Federal Government if the cartridge the gun uses is no longer commercially available.

Each State is different so whether your musket is considered as a gun by your State or not depends on where you live.
In Arizona, a muzzleloading gun or a cap & ball revolver is not considered to be a gun for most purposes but, if the gun is used in a crime, then it is considered as a gun. In other words, if I hold up a bank using my reproduction of a cap and ball revolver, it is still "armed robbery".

Now, this is the Introduction area where we just talk about who we are and why we are here. If there are any more questions about your guns, please post them in the other areas of the forum. If you aren't quite sure where to ask your questions, use the "General Muzzleloading" section.

Welcome, your inexperience won't matter. Between advice here and folks you'll be able to contact in your area you will learn safe handling, work out functional loads, and enjoy that weapon.

Welcome! You have come to the right place. I learn something new, or find some interesting info here, pretty much every time I log on. Firearm or not, mine make pretty satisfying holes in things...:)

UndeadPoet

Latest posts

Back