• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Fearnaught"- By Roy Stroh

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trench

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Here is "Fearnaught". An interpretation of a John Small rifle (1759-1821) of Vincennes, IN by Roy Stroh. Roy was nice enough to wet my whistle with some pictures while she's on her way.

Roy says his favorite part about this build was the 7 barrel keys. :grin:

FullLockSide.png

CloseUpPatchBox.png

CloseUpLock.png

FullSideplateSide.png

CloseUpCheekPiece.png

CloseUpThumbPlate.png

Underside.png

I like it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Be sure and have 'er sighted in for a woodswalk in September. :)

7 barrel keys! :shocked2:

Pretty darn nice !
:thumbsup:

Is the length of brass on the bottom of the forestock (in front of the T/G) what I've read about as something that was used to strengthen the area for resting on the pommel of a saddle?

Very nice. Roy does excellent work. I have two myself from Roy.

BTW...He put the lock on the wrong side... :grin:

Very beautiful!!! the cast off is nice. It should line up perfect :thumbsup: BTW What caliber is it? That long barrel should be nice for offhand shooting.

roundball said:
Pretty darn nice !
:thumbsup:

Is the length of brass on the bottom of the forestock (in front of the T/G) what I've read about as something that was used to strengthen the area for resting on the pommel of a saddle?

That part is called a wear plate. I've heard different reasons for them. Every existing John Small rifle has a wear plate. They look mostly decorative on his rifles. I'll let someone more knowledgable answer why's and for's. :grin:

Its a 44" B weight .45 cal barrel by Flintlock Const. Inc.. aka Charles Burton..

Beautifull rifle!Anybody who wouldn't be right proud to own a rifle like that oughta be hung from the dome of the George Rodgers Clark Memorial. :thumbsup:

Trench ya got yourself a looker there an with a burton barrel I'll bet she's gonna shoot sweet as she looks :bow:

Outstanding rifle, great idea for a build. There are not enough reproductions of guns of the Old Northwest. :thumbsup: That's my kind of rifle.

John Tice said:
Outstanding rifle, great idea for a build. There are not enough reproductions of guns of the Old Northwest. :thumbsup: That's my kind of rifle.

My thoughts exactly. Thanks to the late John Dresslar and Jeff Jeager for publishing the book about John Small back in 2010. I saw the the rifle my build is based on in the Indiana State Museum. I got the idea for the build back then. It couldn't have been done without the photos from the book.

Latest posts

Back