• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fast twist 50-54cal side hammmers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BS

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Does anybody made these besides Lyman? A nice light slug shooter that will shoot big hunks of lead, without having to buy an 'inline' :(. I know that you can buy replacement barrels for your Hawken, but seems that somebody should made some fast twists to compete.

It would be nice to be able to reccomend more than one brand of slug shooter to someone looking for a traditional rifle to shoot Elk! :)

A. 1 in 28 to 1 in 32 something faster than the 1 in 48.

T/C uses a relatively fast 1:48" twist. :haha:

All depends on your point of view, I guess.

Use a traditional projectile in a traditional sidelock . . . just throw a bigger diameter one instead of a longer one. Something in a nice 16 bore ought to do the trick. :winking:

You can buy the Austin-Haleck percussion or flintlock in 1:28 for conicals .

The Welshman

They are good shooting rifles too

Never really cared for the 1 in 48 twist my self, it a compramise twist, not fast, not slow.

I agree with the bigger balls, a 62 is nice, but a 72 is better! My next barrel will be a 69 cal. sort of an in between caliber, not to be confused with an in between twist! :rolleyes:

If you can find one, T.C. made a Black Mt. Magnum with a 1 in 28 in. twist. As I recall they came in both .50 and .54 cal. Check the various gun auction sites.

Larry

Does anybody made these besides Lyman? A nice light slug shooter that will shoot big hunks of lead, without having to buy an 'inline' :(. I know that you can buy replacement barrels for your Hawken, but seems that somebody should made some fast twists to compete.

It would be nice to be able to reccomend more than one brand of slug shooter to someone looking for a traditional rifle to shoot Elk! :)

It sounds like you may aready know this but to be sure, Green Mountain makes a lot of fast twist LRH (Long Range Hunter)[url] barrels...in[/url] particular, fast twist drop-in barrels for the TC Hawken & Renegade.

They may also make them for other manufacturers as well.

Also, TC's Scout was produced with 1:20" and 1:38" twist barrels...I also think the TC White Mountain has those same two twist options.

PS: There's a brand new .50cal Scout on AuctionArms right now...24" barrel, 1:38" twist.

For what it's worth about 1:48 barrels from first hand experience:
I happen to like .45cal rifles, and in various range tests and shooting deer, the Hornady Great Plains conicals and TC 255grn Maxi-Hunter conicals in my .45cal X 1:48" twist barrels are both extremely accurate...single ragged holes at 50yds, and as tight a group at 100yds as your eyes & iron sights will allow.

Last edited by a moderator:

For what it's worth about 1:48 barrels from first hand experience:
I happen to like .45cal rifles, and in various range tests and shooting deer, the Hornady Great Plains conicals and TC 255grn Maxi-Hunter conicals in my .45cal X 1:48" twist barrels are both extremely accurate...single ragged holes at 50yds, and as tight a group at 100yds as your eyes & iron sights will allow.

I was mainly referring to the 50 and 54 cals, allthough my buddy has a 54 Renagade with a 1 in 48 twist that shoots OK with 120 grains of FFF and a RB. It has killed 5 ELK.

:m2c:534 gr of lead in a 54 1/48 twist and still shoot prb what else is there in life ?

Davide-Pedersoli (www.davide-pedersoli.com) has the:
Tryon 45cal in 1:21" percussion.
Pennsylvania Scout Standard 50cal 1:34" Percussion model
Pennsylvania Scout Standard 50cal 1:34" Flintlock model
Kodiak Express Standard Percussion 50cal 1:24" Perc model
Kodiak Express Standard Percussion 54cal 1:24" Perc model
Jaeger 54Cal in 1:24" Flint and Percussion
Frontier Carbine Standard 50 & 54 cal 1:34" Flintlock model
Frontier Carbine Standard 50 & 54 cal 1:34" Percussion model
Cub Dixie Standard 50cal 1:34" Flintlock model
Cub Dixie Standard 50cal 1:34" Percussion model
Country Hunter Standard 50cal 1:34" Flintlock model
Country Hunter Standard 50cal 1:34" Percussion model
Mortimer Whitworth Standard 45cal 1:21" Percussion

Cabelas (Investarms)has Sporterized Hawken 50 cal 1:24"

"Cabelas (Investarms)has Sporterized Hawken 50 cal 1:24"

Tahquamenon,
I see that the 21" Carbine has the 1:24 twist,
Thank You for taking the time to put together your List! :thumbsup:
------------------------------------------------------------

I will make a copy of the above rifles and save them away, where I can find them again, I Hope!
Thanks to All! :)

My T/C Black Mountain Magnum .54 has a 1:38 twist, which is different than the .50 version, which has the 1:28 twist to it. It's a really nice rifle - shooting for the first time this weekend upcoming

Back