• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fake Hawken worth keeping?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree wholeheartedly! I’m surprised at the folks who would just toss it or scrap it out. Sometimes a sewer pipe barrel can be coaxed into shooting condition with steel wool and or fire lapping. If not Mr. Hoyt could make a larger bore shooter out of it for less than 150 or so. Fixing locks or replacements is so commonly done as to be considered garage gunsmith level of difficulty... that could be a nice little rifle for someone and offer an educational opportunity along the way.

Yep. I have cleaned up old TC’s that you could barely tell had ever had riflin’s in them & granted, you’d never make a target rifle from them but @ 60 or 70 yards they’d print groups all day you could cover with yer hand.

I’m surprised at the folks who would just toss it or scrap it out. Sometimes a sewer pipe barrel can be coaxed into shooting condition with steel wool and or fire lapping. If not Mr. Hoyt could make a larger bore shooter out of it for less than 150 or so.

AGREED.

I'd get the bore reamed smooth. Replace a couple parts. See how well that she shoots, plus how well she handles shot.
Then I'd find a young teen who could do with some mentoring and give it to the teen, and teach that teen how to use it and other woodland skills.

THEN after a few years of working with that young person..., then I'd decide if the work on the gun was "worth it".

LD

Not worth the time and money unless you have no other gun.
Agree with Rich on this one. With a little luck and assuming you value your labor to be free (this is a hobby) you could break even. With average or bad luck you could be $50 or more in the hole on parts alone. Rebore is going to cost $150, relining around $200. New lock about $150. Not sure what current actual selling price is for a Charles Daly import "Hawken" is, but I’d guess around $250 tops. You could get lucky with the sear if it is truly an Investarms (highly likely) and get a used sear for less than $10 (see below). Or as is, maybe someone would give $150 as is (again, just my opinion). If you are willing to take your time and piece it out, could possibly bring in even more money. Your gun, your choice.
1618112876497.jpeg

Agree with Rich on this one. With a little luck and assuming you value your labor to be free (this is a hobby) you could break even. With average or bad luck you could be $50 or more in the hole on parts alone. Rebore is going to cost $150, relining around $200. New lock about $150. Not sure what current actual selling price is for a Charles Daly import "Hawken" is, but I’d guess around $250 tops. You could get lucky with the sear if it is truly an Investarms (highly likely) and get a used sear for less than $10 (see below). Or as is, maybe someone would give $150 as is (again, just my opinion). If you are willing to take your time and piece it out, could possibly bring in even more money. Your gun, your choice. View attachment 72519
This is basically where I'm gonna start. I have 3 good flinters, so I don't need this one. It's worth the effort of trying to fit a sear and see about scrubbing put the bore. I'm not spending $150 for a rebore. But maybe this will be a fun little project.

Back