• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Fake Hawken worth keeping?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnlonghunter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My folks found a Charles Daly import "Hawken" when they were cleaning out the farm house they sold recently - it's the single wedge design so popular from the 70's and after. I forgot we had it.

The bore is so rusted and pitted you can't hardly get a jag down it, and the tip of the sear is broken off inside the lock, so it won't hold cock (at any position). Externally it's real clean, but functionally it needs new parts and a new barrel. I'd kinda hate to junk it, but to me it doesn't have enough value to spending money on repairs. Anyone got any ideas what you would do with it besides put it in a dumpster?

Nah, don't toss it. Could be someone else is looking for the parts from the old gun,,
Break it down and list the parts "as is" on ebay,, the stock, the barrel with rail and sights, the lock,, the trigger,,
Make the prices cheap and charge reasonable shipping so ya don't loose no money, and ya might help another fix grandpa's olde gun.
Know what I mean? Ya don't have to make a mint,, just share

Line it and bore it to a suitable caliber or get it bored to a larger caliber. Seems like I recall someone using a t/c lock in one of those.

Green Mountain barrels made for the TC Hawken are a drop in fit with some minor inletting inside the forearm for the barrel wedge lug. Takes about 2 minutes. Lock is the same as the Lyman GPR made by Investarm. Track of the Wolf probably has the parts for them in stock. So, for about $300 or less you can make it new again. Would be pretty hard to find a used rifle with a new GM barrel for that anywhere I've looked. Depends on what your after & if you like the wood, etc.

I was given one in such shape. I took 4/0 steel wool with Break free lube and a cleaning jag just a bit smaller than the bore and ran that steel wood on a cleaning jag with oil up and down the bore until it had a little shine to it. Changed out the steel wool several times. There was still enough rifling in the bore with a tight patch to shoot a good group out to 100 yards. I had to do some lock work, mainly clean up and gave it to a young man that was shooting/hunting with me with a Seneca .45 cal rifle I bought for my wife. I'm pretty sure after about 15 years, he is still hunting with this old TC Hawken.
Clean it up and fix the lock.
Mike

Not sure if your lock is flint or percussion unless I missed it in your messages, but a fellow member just posted an early Hawken percussion lock for sale. Check out Silvertip8k's for sale item.

So the rifle in it's current condition didn't cost anything at this point. With a little elbow grease and some patience and maybe a new lock, it may be a shooter. But as stated, if the barrel wont buff, a GM barrel would be good. And at that point, you are only into the rifle for the cost of the barrel and lock parts. If it were me, I would try to clean her up and see what she does. For what anyone knows, that rifle could be a tack driver.

So the rifle in it's current condition didn't cost anything at this point. With a little elbow grease and some patience and maybe a new lock, it may be a shooter. But as stated, if the barrel wont buff, a GM barrel would be good. And at that point, you are only into the rifle for the cost of the barrel and lock parts. If it were me, I would try to clean her up and see what she does. For what anyone knows, that rifle could be a tack driver.
Agree wholeheartedly! I’m surprised at the folks who would just toss it or scrap it out. Sometimes a sewer pipe barrel can be coaxed into shooting condition with steel wool and or fire lapping. If not Mr. Hoyt could make a larger bore shooter out of it for less than 150 or so. Fixing locks or replacements is so commonly done as to be considered garage gunsmith level of difficulty... that could be a nice little rifle for someone and offer an educational opportunity along the way.

Back