• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Factory built vs kit build value

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would you bet your life on that?
[/QUOTE]
Nope. But at my age there are very few things I would bet my life on. My huge experience with the many TC kits I’ve had (2) seems to indicate little difference from the factory guns I’ve handled but not owned.

You missed the point I was making. Some think that and could be the reason kit guns bring a lower price.

I never said I do or don't believe it.

When T.C. was an independent company factory built rifles had higher value because they had a more inclusive warranty. Now it doesn't matter as neither have the full life time warranty.Many kit built rifles are as well or better built than factory builds. It just depends on who built them .

I own a kit built 32 Cherokee I will post a picture of it later. I would not think of pricing it for anything under $600.00 if I were to sell it which I am not.

Zimm,

Sued for three times the amount of the attorney fees ? That is over the top ridiculous, ambulance chasing, anything to be permanently aggrieved. That would not be the hill to die on. Three weeks in Maui vs a maybe a 98 cent part…. Whatever happened to overcome and adapt ? You said the pistol was given to you. Maybe the person who gave you the pistol either abused it or may have been negligent.

Having a catastrophic fire is not “BS” as you put it, and claiming it as an excuse simply does not hold water. Rebuilding a factory to produce a small inexpensive part to satisfy one unhappy camper, really ? Whatever happened to the ‘Spirit of the law’ rather than the “letter of the law’ ?

If this complaint was ever brought before me, it would be immediately dismissed. Waste of time, energy and effort. I doubt it would have adversely affected anyone’s lives. Loud rap of the gavel. Case dismissed. Drama class is held over at the local community theater.

Next…. :doh: :cool:

Three times the amount of damages plus attorney's fees. Where do you get a part that the manufacturer has run out of? except from another gun. No paying $1.98 for a new sight back then. None to be had without buying an entire pistol and stripping it for parts. Which is the only place such parts are available now. You would suggest putting another sight on the gun where anyone who knows that model would know that the gun was no longer stock?

For a client, I have sued TC for breach of warranty and won in front of a real judge trained at law to understand it doesn't matter if the breach of contract is a box of Cracker Jacks with no prize, (an actual case) or a defective $150 flintlock. When the extended warranty company refused to replace the computer that burned in a house fire, I sued personally, and recovered three times the cost of the computer and an extra $450 for representing myself in small claims court. Not a bad return on a $700 computer that was three months old. The warranty company should never have sent a snooty letter raising defenses that were not permitted under the language of their own warranty. The letter clued the judge in, that they never intended to honor their warranty. Obviously you place expediency over lawful recourse. Sort of like Montgomery Wards refusing to take back a $5 toaster that didn't work when taken out of the box an hour after purchase. (an actual case) Since the amount is trivial the manufacturer and seller should get away with taking people's money and violating warranties. Double Deuce, you would probably have worked for Brad Wesley.

Last edited:
Wow, I built my first rifle from a dusty old kit missing a couple of parts and directions. Since I didn’t really know what I was doing I think I did ok. I think it came out better then the factory rifle I acquired a couple of years later. It’s been a great partner in the field for 20 some years. Value isn’t always about money.
(Back on track a little)

My 1980 T/C Hawkins was a kit build by a gunsmith. The man I purchased it from had his friend build the rifle and his friend happened to be a gunsmith by profession. Well this rifle is nothing shy of pure beauty and she shoots just as good as she looks. Yes I know of the gunsmith, we all grew up in the same town.

Are you telling me that my TC Hawken 50 has LOST it's warranty??? I got it in 1980. BTW, this is a LOL.
Thompson Center was sold to Smith and Wesson several years ago they exsist in name only just like CVA they went under to protect them selves after a number of their inline rifles started blowing up killing and maiming shooters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zimm,

Spirit of the law, rather than letter of the law. Whatever happened to reasonableness ?

Putting a different sight on a pistol is not the end of the world. Read the entries on this forum. People change out sights in what seems to be a fairly regular when the need or interest arises. Very simple.

How about we drag out those wonderful debtor’ prisons. We can put the offending party into prison, after he recovers from the burns sustained in a “BS” fire at his company… total loss. We can keep him there until he can pay his supposed debt to the whining aggrieved party. That’s reasonable…. I recently had to change tires on my antique car. The tire company is no longer in business. I went to a different vendor for tires. There are lots of aftermarket vendors out there who sell replacement sights. I haven’t noticed any by the way in a Montgomery Ward parking lot

Parts are out there. Replacements can be made.

I think overly sensitive third grade respected mods need hobbies to relieve stress.

Dismissed. Next. :cool:

We are lucky the Italians still make a variety of muzzleloaders. Them and Kibler help keep nonbuilders able to have options for new that are affordable.

Latest posts

Back