• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Extract bullet without powder charge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naphtali

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Now that I've ordered a conical with top driving band sized for ramrod loading, I've realized that I may need a solution to a problem I hope I'll never have — loading 700 grain bullet without powder charge. The rifle is .72-caliber cap lock with platinum lined musket cap nipple. I use a 4-inch long short starter.

My concern is: I whack the bullet with short starter and stop. I didn't load powder. Yeah, I should be using a routine that is habitual, nearly instinctive. Nevertheless, the conical is more than three inches into the bore, and no powder to get it out. Screw extractor is useless. I think I want to remove the nipple and "blow" the bullet out the muzzle. About how much FFg do I dribble in to extract the bullet? I don't think dribbling a large amount like 30 grains is a good idea. What amount of FFg is enough?

Last edited:
You can dribble in 10+ grains of powder when you remove the nipple. Replace the nipple, and seat the bullet down on the powder. It should come right out when the gun is fired, if not, dribble in 15+ grains, reseat the bullet and try again. If at the range or home you could use a CO2 discharger, or an air compressor.

Sanity!

My fear has not just been getting the conical out. Rather how to get it out without inadvertently blowing a hole in something I didn't want to. Why it didn't occur to me to inch my way up the amount of powder to dribble in requires unimaginable unawareness.

Many thanks, guys.

Sanity!

My fear has not just been getting the conical out. Rather how to get it out without inadvertently blowing a hole in something I didn't want to. Why it didn't occur to me to inch my way up the amount of powder to dribble in requires unimaginable unawareness.

Many thanks, guys.
To be on the safe side I would still seat the conical first.

If you're unsuccessful and still encounter issues, I suggest trying the grease fitting and grease gun tactic. There is a video put out by Idaho Ron showing how well it works.

Last edited:
To be on the safe side I would still seat the conical first.

If you're unsuccessful and still encounter issues, I suggest trying the grease fitting and grease gun tactic. There is a video put out by Idaho Ron showing how well it works.
Yep, the grease zerk method works very well, hydraulics are a wonderful thing when needed, only drawback is the messy clean up afterwards!

Why is this so hard on a perc. cap or musket cap rifle? Pull nipple and if you can, the clean out screw. dribble whatever powder you have on hand into those orifices. Finer the better, including ffffg. Replace nipple and/or clean out screw. Re-cap. Point in safe direction. Pull trigger. IF it does not come out, repeat step #1 again and then seat bullet. It will come out now. It takes a few minutes and some patience. I've even done this on flintlocks, but that is chancier on whether it will work or not.

Latest posts

Back