• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ever seen caps like these?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jumpshot

54 Cal.
Reaction score
A local gun shop had a few so I grabbed one. First time I've ever seen French caps. They fire great, but compared to my RWS caps they stink like you wouldn't believe.
phew_zpsf291df44.gif

b17517e4-31c8-4812-a9b9-eec33b3fff26_zpsfb0464bd.jpg

f39b69c6-e739-4ce4-832f-caaf475d0fb8_zpsea515b70.jpg

4247b481-a4cd-4a2b-8dfd-b445548a390b_zpsde3a7446.jpg

55522366-bf8b-425e-91a6-dccc50d5edbe_zps4b1163b6.jpg

No but if I did you would buy some. I bet the are quite old. I wonder if the reason the stink is because they are corrosive?

The Gévelot Group website says:

"The Gévelot group dates back to 1820, at a time when the company produced caps, hunting cartridges and war munitions. After the second world war, this activity wich established GEVELOT's reputation made way for diversification into the field of mechnics."

So it seems that your caps date back to before the 1950s. More here:

http://www.gevelot.fr/en-groupe-presentation.php

Well, that's interesting. I stopped by today to pick up a couple more since they seem to work so good. They go off like a firecracker. I guess I'll just hang on to them and keep using my RWS caps.

And the waterproofing is still good. I filled one with water, waited a few minutes, shook the water out and it fired just like a dry one.

Well, I've always thought it would be fun to collect old/rare/unique percussion cap tins, so I said the heck with it and bought the rest of the ones they had. It was the first time the gun shop has had musket caps in a few years. Not very common here and there doesn't seem to be much demand for them around these parts. They were sitting on the shelf for a few weeks before I finally bought one.

I thought it would be cool to have several unopened boxes with the caps still inside (well, five of them are still sealed; the other two have been opened, but all the caps are there except for the three or four I dry fired to test them). So I guess this is the start of my new unique cap/tin collection.

Oy. Another hobby to spend money on. :doh:

ab31ee33-9935-4196-883a-3fefd5cf9fd6_zpse7f4bfe9.jpg

So are there any resources out there for the hobby of collecting old cap tins? I've been searching and I can't find any websites or books relating to collecting or values or history/chronology or other such info. Not even any small "this is my tin collection" websites. All I can find is links to ones for sale (and there seem to be plenty of them). Is this an area that hasn't been touched on by any historians or collectors?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but this is my first foray into collecting old tins and so far I'm finding nothing.

Back