• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Euroarms Remington 1863 Zouave .58 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mff374sf

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello All,

Getting back into ML after a long lay off. Recently pick up a Euroarms 1863 .58 cal Zouave and would like your thoughts/experience with target and/or hunting loads.

Thanks for your time
John

Their manual says to use 60 gr of FFG under a Mini-ball. :thumbsup:

I recently acquired a Zouave to use the musket caps I picked up on closeout at Wallyworld, I just love saving money. :haha: Anyhow, I'm getting very good accuracy with Hornady .570" balls, .018" pillow ticking patch over 90 grains of Goex 2fg. I don't shoot any formal competition with it so I added a peep sight and an orange dot front sight as the original sights were pretty hopeless, or at least I was hopeless with those sights. Although it was designed for minie balls, I much prefer hunting with round balls for less expense, less recoil, a MUCH flatter trajectory and more than adequate power. That load produces just over 1600 fps and allows one sight setting for all shots out to 100 yards when zeroed 2" high at 50 yards. The standard service load of 60 grains behind a 500 grain Minie only runs 800-900 fps and zeroed at 100 it will be 6-8" high at 50 yards. Such a trajectory is a great handicap for hunting. I suggest you try patched round balls, I think you'll like them.

For any load over 60 grains, you should use a OP wad to protect the patch from burning through. Usually, there just is not enough lube in the patch of these large caliber balls to protect it in front of large powder charges. If you chronograph these loads, with and without the OP wad, you will find that you get more velocity with the OP wad, and a lower SDV, than if you just load the PRB. That generally means you can use less powder to obtain the same velocities, by using the OP wads.

For target: 37 to 45 grains of 3f under a Lyman 575213 new- or old-style minie dip-lubed with MCM, Bore Butter or a home-made mix of 50/50 beeswax-Crisco. For hunting: same bullet, charge of 45-60 grains of 3f. The rifle will tell you which powder charge it likes.

Back