• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

estimates on price for reworkin gun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtothis

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have an old custom 38 cal percussion thst I love, but the tang is broken, the hammer screw is all wrong, and I'd like to have it converted to a siler flintlock with double set triggers. Any ideas on what a gunsmith would charge to fix my tang, replace the screw that goes through the tang to the trigger guard, convert it to siller flint with double triggers? Thanks guys!

Pictures would go along way towards getting some decent feedback.

The main thing to consider is if the new parts you want to have installed will cover the inlets of the parts you want replaced.

I doubt if anyone would give you an estimate without seeing the rifle. But, if you have any experience with rifle building then you might be able to handle it yourself. The broken tang is no big deal. It can be welded with mild wire so it will take a finish. I'd have to farm that work out. The big "ifs" would be the size of the lock mortise relative to a new Siler. If the Siler's too small, then a "gunmakers" lock with oversized plate would have to fitted to the gun and that's a lot of grinding and filing. You might find that another style lock would be easier to fit. AND the big problem could be the location of the center of the pan relative to the touch hole in the vent liner you're going to have to put in the existing hole for the percussion drum, assuming it has one rather than a patent breech. Either way, you may have to have the barrel redone with a flint type patent breech to get everything to line up. Been there, done that. The double set triggers probably mean lengthening the plate mortise besides drilling /tapping for a new tang bolt. Thats not a big deal since you have the original hole through the existing tang(if you don't need a new one as part of a new patent breech) and stock as a guide for the drill. Setting them up for function can take a lot of time.

I found, after doing several projects like this is that it's very important to think before you do something that's not reversible, and about the sequence of the steps involved. If you decide on giving it to a gunmaker, you'll have to decide how valuable the rifle is to you relative to the cost of the alteration.
If worst case scenarios apply, it's not going to be cheap.

Sorry for the long winded reply.

Duane

Hmmm. Ok ill get pics when I get home. Looks like the cheaper option (I'm about to start collage. U knw what that means in terms of cash) so cheaper is kind oof a big deal lol, to just get my tang fixed and the hole for the screw holding the hammer on re threaded and a new screw in then a new bolt from the tang to the trigger as well as some other holes and screws and pins that need to b touched up.

"... just get my tang fixed and the hole for the screw holding the hammer on re threaded and a new screw in then a new bolt from the tang to the trigger as well as some other holes and screws and pins that need to b touched up."

That all makes sense. Get the gun working then modify it when you can afford it. Heck, the Siler lock alone will cost about $140.00 plus shipping. Then another $45 for the new triggers. (plus shipping) then you will have to ship the gun to and from a gun builder so there's another $60.00 to $100.00. So you see you are into the project average at least $245.00 before one minute of work is performed. That's only if the breech plug doesn't have to be replaced and if the set triggers will fit in the existing trigger guard.(don't count on it..)

I'd think another $300 up to $600.00 for bench time depending on who you choose to do the work and how many hours of time it will actually take. And that depends on how well the replacement parts will fit. And how much refinishing work is required to match up the repairs.

Or,you can get your buddy down the street with a drill press in his garage to do it for cheap :grin:

laffindog said:

Or,you can get your buddy down the street with a drill press in his garage to do it for cheap :grin:

yea that guy has been known to hurt himself cooking fish sticks and try to pick up rbs i just dropped out of the mold. dont trust him with my gun. lol

Latest posts

Back