• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

English Provincial Gunmaker Pigeon Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has for Newcastle Upon Tyne and surrounding areas for provincial gunmakers records go back to the early 1700s with a large number working, each major town had gunmakers such has Alnwick. Durham City. Darlington, Barnard Castle, Carlisle and Penrith and many more.
Feltwad
Thank you.

The reason I asked is because in both 1996 and 1998, the furthest north in England I was able to get was the southernmost exit off the motorway in Birmingham. We stayed in Coventry and Kenilworth, respectively in those years for the World Championships held at Wedgnock.

Gus

Leeds Armoury is a good place to visit, there is exhibits in there that you will not see in other museums only the Tower of London. Come further north and are in God's country which is my country with its grouse moors and sporting game shoots.
25years ago I researched the provincial gunmaker from the Scottish border to York from 1700 to the present day and recorded just over 300 makers and smiths which form my directory
Feltwad
A Durham Grouse Moor
P1010008.JPG

Leeds Armoury is a good place to visit, there is exhibits in there that you will not see in other museums only the Tower of London. Come further north and are in God's country which is my country with its grouse moors and sporting game shoots.
25years ago I researched the provincial gunmaker from the Scottish border to York from 1700 to the present day and recorded just over 300 makers and smiths which form my directory
Feltwad
A Durham Grouse Moor
View attachment 163025
I grew up in Iowa and two of my very favourite game species to hunt were pheasant and quail. I always wanted to hunt grouse, but have never been in the right area during hunting season. I can see that would almost be paradise to hunt grouse there. NOW I can see why there were so many birding pieces made in your part of England.

I had wanted to see the Tower of London Arms collection for over a quarter of a century when in 1996 we were on a tour bus going back down to London for the day. I was most distressed to find out the Arms collection had been moved to the Royal Armouries at Leeds only a few years before. Unfortunately, on neither trip was I able to get up to Leeds to see the collections.

On the three ML World Championships I worked in 1980, 1996 and 1998; I always enjoyed seeing the original British single barrel flint and percussion smoothbores. What marvelous pieces they were.

Gus

The Royal Armouries at Leeds are housed in a veritable Temple to Arms & Armours it was moved from the Tower so that more of the population could see such works same with the Railway Museum going to York .The RA offered Sheffield the option but the Council are All (mostly) avowed Communists who fly the Red flag off the City Hall & loudly decried all 'War like" things won't let the Territorials display at the Sheffield show ect. So rabidly anti gun they are. How they now sit with Putins rampages? I don,t know I voted with my feet years ago .

Not all the displays are originals they do use replicas to stage displays & reenactment shows & the Study collection houses a 'Lawrences Pattern 'E I Co Musket of my make . there being no surviving original known except fragments salved from the wreck of the East Indiaman ''Albion" lost on the Goodwin sands in1765 from memory the iron all gone but the brass & the stocks where in very good state & conserved in the Tower so I was able to get precise details to knock up a copy .For Distinguished Aurther David Harding who in later years let the RA have it . He thought I might be upset but not at all I was exalted .. Rudyard

A poor response to this thread maybe it is the wrong type of antique muzzle loader for comments? makes one thing is it worth while
Feltwad
I also think the same. Have they ever read the script?? I have a Top Class T.P.Watson Live Pigeon Daw actioned 12b gun. Also a live pigeon 12b gun by T.Stensby,Mancester.With many Stickers on the stock, How about Nixon of Newark and Green of Canterbrey, Parkfield of Taunton & Exeter,and Hundreds of others all building guns you would and Do give your EYE TEETH for. Even THE "Original" Henry built by Alex in Edinborough and Rigby of Dublin . Both used to win many B versus A matches.Then Ingram of Glasgow. What about Georce Gibb's,(NOT Pedersol's cnc nowhere near lookalike), of Bristol..461"Metfords. ALSO An Abundante winner the world over.
I really do wonder if it is the worth the time bothering with people who don't really read about,study or understand their history.. Our Late Queen is lying in State in a place that was built over 2000 years ago..

To the QUEEN IS DEAD Post,

We've drunk to THE QUEEN God bless her,
We've drunk to our mother's land,
We've drunk our Commanweath brothers,
And We'll hope they'll understand..

We've drunk as much as we're able
And the stars hang low in the mourn,
NEW toast,One Foot on the table
Here's to the ""NEW"" KING BORN>>

Sorry RUDYARD ( Kipling ) about the Re-Write ..

Last edited:
I grew up in Iowa and two of my very favourite game species to hunt were pheasant and quail. I always wanted to hunt grouse, but have never been in the right area during hunting season. I can see that would almost be paradise to hunt grouse there. NOW I can see why there were so many birding pieces made in your part of England.

I had wanted to see the Tower of London Arms collection for over a quarter of a century when in 1996 we were on a tour bus going back down to London for the day. I was most distressed to find out the Arms collection had been moved to the Royal Armouries at Leeds only a few years before. Unfortunately, on neither trip was I able to get up to Leeds to see the collections.

On the three ML World Championships I worked in 1980, 1996 and 1998; I always enjoyed seeing the original British single barrel flint and percussion smoothbores. What marvelous pieces they were.

Gus
Hey Gus 1980, 1996 and 98. We must have met. The Stensby with the Stickers is mine .O.D,

I really do wonder if it is the worth the time bothering with people who don't really read about,study or understand their history.
There is alternative viewpoint. Personally, I appreciate when knowledgeable members share their knowledge with the rest of us. Please remember that for some of us this may be a new interest. It is also worth noting that "their" history is not the same for everyone - subtely chastising readers for not knowing your history is unnecessary.

Last edited:
Hey Gus 1980, 1996 and 98. We must have met. The Stensby with the Stickers is mine .O.D,
Hi Greenslde,

I doubt you would have known me at the 1980 World Championships at Quantico, as my unofficial title was the "Non Commissioned Officer in Charge of Crisis Control." You may have noticed me during the medals presentations as that day I dressed in an 18th century Rifleman's Hat, Long Shirt and Buckskin trousers. I held the nation flag of the gold medal winners behind them, as they were presented their medals.

In 1996 and 98 at Wedgnock, I was the Team Armourer for the U.S. International Team. I commonly was dressed in a long tan work apron each day. You may remember me walking behind the shooting lines or at the picnic table "gun bench" with my tool box, off the side of one of the buildings. In 98, one of your Team Mates kindly drove me to a hardware store so I could buy a propane torch on the first practice day. When I asked him about Kenilworth Castle, I was delighted to learn he was in The Society for Creative Anachronism of Long Bowmen. Then he made a little side trip to the castle grounds where he explained what it looked like during the period and the Long Bow's use there. What a treat that was!

The British Team were most gracious hosts at both of the Wedgnock shoots.

Gus

Last edited:
I also think the same. Have they ever read the script?? I have a Top Class T.P.Watson Live Pigeon Daw actioned 12b gun. Also a live pigeon 12b gun by T.Stensby,Mancester.With many Stickers on the stock, How about Nixon of Newark and Green of Canterbrey, Parkfield of Taunton & Exeter,and Hundreds of others all building guns you would and Do give your EYE TEETH for. Even THE "Original" Henry built by Alex in Edinborough and Rigby of Dublin . Both used to win many B versus A matches.Then Ingram of Glasgow. What about Georce Gibb's,(NOT Pedersol's cnc nowhere near lookalike), of Bristol..461"Metfords. ALSO An Abundante winner the world over.
I really do wonder if it is the worth the time bothering with people who don't really read about,study or understand their history.. Our Late Queen is lying in State in a place that was built over 2000 years ago..

To the QUEEN IS DEAD Post,

We've drunk to THE QUEEN God bless her,
We've drunk to our mother's land,
We've drunk our Commanweath brothers,
And We'll hope they'll understand..

We've drunk as much as we're able
And the stars hang low in the mourn,
NEW toast,One Foot on the table
Here's to the ""NEW"" KING BORN>>

Sorry RUDYARD ( Kipling ) about the Re-Write ..
Re Rudyard I doubt he will object .Not the pallid imitation one, the original of course.
Regards Pallid Imitation ' Rudyard'

Hi Greenslde,

I doubt you would have known me at the 1980 World Championships at Quantico, as my unofficial title was the "Non Commissioned Officer in Charge of Crisis Control." You may have noticed me during the medals presentations as that day I dressed in an 18th century Rifleman's Hat, Long Shirt and Buckskin trousers. I held the nation flag of the gold medal winners behind them, as they were presented their medals.

In 1996 and 98 at Wedgnock, I was the Team Armourer for the U.S. International Team. I commonly was dressed in a long tan work apron each day. You may remember me walking behind the shooting lines or at the picnic table "gun bench" with my tool box, off the side of one of the buildings. In 98, one of your Team Mates kindly drove me to a hardware store so I could buy a propane torch on the first practice day. When I asked him about Kenilworth Castle, I was delighted to learn he was in The Society for Creative Anachronism of Long Bowmen. Then he made a little side trip to the castle grounds where he explained what it looked like during the period and the Long Bow's use there. What a treat that was!

The British Team were most gracious hosts at both of the Wedgnock shoots.

Gus
Dear Gus .Still got that Dirk blade by the way.

I was at first Quantico not shooting but some of my make shotguns where . I was Allway's impressed by your team haveing Doctors ,Press. and an Armorer, Marge Pepiot reporter & Willis Boytnot was team Armorer if I spelt it right. When I was on scrutiny at Bisley previously & had met them I met Willis Boytnot again at Quantico & Don Getz. & Hershal House had a side table. I do recall the Japanese all dolled up & one fired a hand cannon. While some Confederate fired an impressive rifled canon to the distress of some poor defenseless melons . I got so talking about a 1776 Tower Rifle lock I must have missed . Your long rifleman part .I do remember the spontaneous roar of applause when the Japanese won some medal they could only shoot their Matchlocks and hadn't done the events the other team shooters had to go at . They had shot at Bisley & I remember well that despite the rain at the last details their match cord was still burning out on the range On Short Siberia .Can picture it still (We matchlock shooters notice things like that ) All Good.
Regards Rudyard

Our Late Queen is lying in State in a place that was built over 2000 years ago..
Her Late Majesty lay in state in Westminster Hall, work on which began in Westminster Hall, the oldest existing part of the Palace of Westminster, which was was erected in 1097 by King William ('William Rufus').

Back