• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Enfield max load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jumpshot. I bought my sizing dies from Rapine Bullet Mould Mfg. Co. (9503 Landis Lane, East Greenville, PA 18041 Phone (215) 679-5413). They are a simple unthreaded die that you push the bullet thru (nose first) using either a little hand press that they also sell or you could simply push the bullet thru using a piece of dowel in a drill press.

I have the parker-Hale Musketoon from England I bought new in 1974. I have shot it with 120 gr of 3fffg. It kicks like an Army mule when Navy wins! Yes it blows the skirt. I use the prichertt style minnie ball. Very thin skirt. So What? You will not last long shooting that load anyway! For the first round out of the gun for hunting , you will hit what you are shooting at...providing you can hit anything anyway. But I defy you to shoot that load more than 5-10 shots!

P.

Jumpshot said:
How about the Lee Handpress? Would it work with that?

lee.jpg
you can get lee to make a sizing die just under your bore size,i got them to make me one to size a .533 mini to .529 as my bore on my pedersoli tryon rifle is .530.the sizing die will fit the lee hand press.see pics. http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/ca...4258=/html/catalog/custom.html#CUSTOMLUBESIZE
bernie :thumbsup:

101_0385.jpg

101_0388.jpg

101_0389.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
True, I've had Lee Precision make me a few custom size dies too. However, I believe they won't make anything bigger than a .575" which is what would be needed for the bullets that are the subject of this thread. For those larger sizes you'll have to contact Rapine, or one of the NSSA-type Sutlers who stock items for the musket-sized calibers.

arquebus said:
True, I've had Lee Precision make me a few custom size dies too. However, I believe they won't make anything bigger than a .575" which is what would be needed for the bullets that are the subject of this thread. For those larger sizes you'll have to contact Rapine, or one of the NSSA-type Sutlers who stock items for the musket-sized calibers.

arquebus he said that the 577 would not go in his bore so i think a 575 or smaller sizer would do the trick,this is what he said.
bernie :thumbsup:

Dillohide Said:You can get a bag of the Lyman 577611 Minie, 25 per bag for about $12. I got some to try from Track of the Wolf.

jumpshot said I have some of those. I'm new to conicals and still trying to figure them out. How tight should they be? They're tight enough in my ArmiSport that it feels like they won't go downbore. It wouldn't go in the muzzle at all. I'm hestitant to try in case it turns out to be too big and then it's stuck. How do I know how tight they should be? Should I be able to start it past the skirt with just finger pressure, or what?

Until you actually measure your bore with calipers, you can't know by guessing whether a conical will fit correctly or not. Get or borrow some calipers, or take the rifle to any machine shop and ask them to measure the bore for you. That will tell you the dimension you need to work with using any conical. The conical should be .001, to .002" smaller in diameter, MAX. than the dimension of the bore. If you are using a conical that is sized to those requirements, it should slide down the bore fairly easily.

The Enfield uses .575 Minies. You can probably stuff a .577 down the bore before the fouling builds up, but there is no reason to. The .577s do work nicely in Springfields, though.

Yep, they're all a little different. My repro. Enfield Musketoon uses a .577", my repro. Zouave a .580", & it looks like my recently acquired original Zouave will want a .581".
Windwalker, my apologies I must have skimmed over that info., thanks for pointing it out. Mind you, just because the mold is a 577611 doesn't mean the bullets will measure .577 due to any number of variables, as Paul V. said it's always a good idea to measure the bore/bullet & not rely strictly on what the manufacturer says they are.

David, David, surely you've been posting here long enough to realise that just because both sides of the WoNA and the British and their allies were happy with a load of around 70gr, that it will satisfy the real he-men here?

I'm betting that if they could get away with a load that filled the barrel leaving just enough space to insert the bullet in the muzzle that there are a good few who who do it. :surrender:

I'm not going to post any more advice on loading for the Enfield - nobody takes the slightest bit of notice of it - it seems that not even the historically documented and proven loads are good enough for them. :hmm:

tac

"I'm not going to post any more advice on loading for the Enfield - nobody takes the slightest bit of notice of it - it seems that not even the historically documented and proven loads are good enough for them." tac

It is mighty discouragin'. Ye tries and tries, but these young folks jest don't seem to git it. Ye done the best ye could ol' son. I feels yore pain. Bob

tac said:
.....advice on loading for the Enfield - nobody takes the slightest bit of notice of it

The original correspondent has only made 4 posts so may be a new muzzle loader, so one tries to offer assistance/feedback. Of course he may be an experienced muzzle loader with a new computer! :grin:

Either way, since his original posting there has been much discussion but no further comment from him. I still don't know if this is just for academic interest or trying to improve 'stopping power', accuracy or an other reason.

That aside, it's got more chat about shooting the Enfield. Speaking of which and given the tales of Civil War sharpshooting etc. I am suprised that there does not appear to be much (any?) competition for shooting the Enfield at ranges beyond 100-200 yards in the US.

David

KanawhaRanger said:
"I'm not going to post any more advice on loading for the Enfield - nobody takes the slightest bit of notice of it - it seems that not even the historically documented and proven loads are good enough for them." tac

It is mighty discouragin'. Ye tries and tries, but these young folks jest don't seem to git it. Ye done the best ye could ol' son. I feels yore pain. Bob

Yup, pure wasta time, ain't it just? Waitin' on the fust blowed-up Enfield shooter to admit it on the forum, me. :grin:

IMO, 120gr+ loads are the neighbourhood of the TC Hawken or similar, with its great heavy barrel, not the skinny-barrelled Enfields. :haha:

My $0.02 :wink:

David Minshall said:
...Speaking of which and given the tales of Civil War sharpshooting etc. I am suprised that there does not appear to be much (any?) competition for shooting the Enfield at ranges beyond 100-200 yards in the US. David

It's plain as day to me, Sir. The Enfield can shoot 100-200 yards with 120-150gr loads fit for a young howitzer, but then there is an ENORMOUS gap where nothing happens between 200 and 600 yards, where we start to shoot it again with our teeny 80gr loads. :rotf:

V. interesting experiment in the ballistic properties of the .577/.58 Minie bullet, doncha think? :thumbsup:

tac

David Minshall said:
I am suprised that there does not appear to be much (any?) competition for shooting the Enfield at ranges beyond 100-200 yards in the US.

You are quite right. In fact, to my knowledge, unless you are either NSSA or USIMLT (MLAIC) there is little to no competitive shooting with Rifle-Muskets here in the U.S. Even then MLAIC is only shot at 100 meters, not sure about NSSA I'm on the wrong coast for that, but I suspect it's only 50 & 100yds. We used to have a Pacific NW Musket Championships in Yakima, Washington, where we shot from 25 to 300 yards. If there are any forum members in the NW region of the country who know of any other matches I'd greatly appreciate hearing about it.....have musket(s), will travel!

As I see it, the problem is just that there are a lot more 100-yard ranges than 200+ ranges. Even the N-SSA, which competes at 50 and 100 yards, had to use its quarter-mile-wide main range at Winchester sort of kitty-cornered to stage a 200-yard match.

tac, I have to admit that the charges used in proofing U.S. rifle-muskets were far greater than any of the loads mentioned on here, and those barrels were made of iron, but I wouldn't want to be anywhere near when they tested them. Given the fact that none of the imports made today are proofed, I wouldn't be surprised if a fairly "tame" load busted a barrel at some point, especially if the shooter allowed the bullet to move forward while handling the gun. This is very easy to do especially if using very loose bullets. I'm actually surprised that I've not heard of any such mishaps. Wait and see I guess.

And David, it is true that you never hear of any organized moderate ranged musket matches here. The country is full of r-m's and many shoot live rounds in them though most are only used in re-enacting. I would like to see it happen around here. Our club used to have a "military musket match" at our big Memorial and Labor Day shoots, but since we relocated we don't have the 3 day shoots nor the musket matches. They were only 50 yd. offhand matches at that. A few of us still take the time to shoot at 50 and 100 yds offhand at targets and gongs, but it's not organized. And every now and then some who have carbines will chime in and I'll get out the Whitworth and do a little offhand shooting to go with it. The N-SSA of course have their matches, but you just never hear of any competitive paper target shooting with these things. It's a shame.

pappa bear, that's our problem. Our club has just enough room for 100 yds. Up in the head of a holler. There is a modern gun club nearby that has 300 yd targets, but the cost to join just to shoot long range once in a while is prohibitive. And those guys wouldn't appreciate the smoke screen several muskets would put out whilst they was shootin' their plastic guns.

I've used 120 grs with a traditional minie out of my Enfield. Accuracy does suffer but not enough to be noticable at short range. It packs a lil bit of a kick but not unpleasant to shoot. 70 grs. will tear hell out of a five gallon bucket at 300 yds.

KanawhaRanger:
I agree with everything you said except for the comment "Given the fact that none of the imports made today are proofed...".

All of the Italian, Spanish and English guns are proofed according to the laws of those countries.
If the manufacturer stamped those proof marks on the barrel/frame/cylinder without being in compliance with the laws of those countries they would be put out of business by their governments.

Back