• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

elk season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenmtnboy

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I wasted most of muzzleloader season looking for a big bull. I did have many great adventures calling in several 5x5 bulls and had a one run his herd over a bow hunter who though he could get in between me calling and a very horny bull. I saw the bow hunter sneek in below me and set up thinking he was going to shoot the Bull I was calling, so I turned up the heat and the Bull got so worked up he ran his cows over the bow hunter and never stopped until he was 5 yrds from me. He wasn't the one I wanted so I let him live but not before I stood up and gave him a look at what he was after. At 10 yrds you can really see the What?!! in a elk's eyes. The offending bow hunter had to climb the tree he was sitting under as the Bull and 15 cows ran him over.(stupid city hunters). With three days left of the muzzleloader season and no meat in the freezer I called this 6x6 in and figured he would do.
50 cal Leman flintlock, 100 grns of fffg Goex, .490 Round ball .028 canvas patch.
My best friend and wife showed up Sat day before the last day of the season and we were able to sneek in on some low country bucks to round out the freezer. The day before I found a huge 7x7, 30" muley but the wind kicked up and I lost him before my wife got to camp. bummer!
She used her 54 cal Late Penn and I used "THUMPER" my 54 Leman percession with 110 grns of FFG Goex.
I had a grand time my last year hunting in CO I still have a Bear tag to fill but If I don't I still have a freezer full of meat.

Brother Nathan

You know a 50 caliber with PRB is too small to reliably kill an elk :grin:

Brother Nathan - You are just outstanding :bow:

Beautiful! I was waiting to see how you made out.

Congratulations.

Greg

Nathan I've been waiting to see a pic of a harvested bull in that beautiful country. Good deal an keep at it :thumbsup:

That's fantastic! Nice rifle, nice duds and nice camo!! I drew my bow on a big stag once only to have a 308 kill him from under me. Very frustrating!!

Well done holding off. That would've taken some determination. A true Hunter. Congrats.

No doubt Brown bear!! The Denver jack ass had been trying to follow me for two days because the local outfitter (AEI) who I turned in for poaching sent him out to harasse me. He drove his truck off road up a bald ridge to ruin my hunt or to capitolize on my calling. He ended up getting scared and having to change his down hill(steep)front tire hahaha :wink: I almost put a knife through his tire but opted to just let the air out.

Back