• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Elk hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travisc406

32 Cal.
Reaction score
hello everyone, long time reader first time poster here. I am going hunting with my cousin who has been shooting his 50 cal hawk. for a couple of months. He is currently shooting round balls and is planning on trying to harvest an elk. I not knowing a whole lot about killing animals with round balls, i just shoot for fun at mountain man conventions. He told me that he can group in a pie plate off sticks inside a pie plate at 150 yards and will not be afraid to shoot at an elk at that distance. Is that possible to kill an elk with a roundball at that distance? Is conical a better way to go? I am shooting a 385 grain buffalo bullet conical with 80 grains of pyro behind it and feel comfortable to 100 yards. Idon't know how effective roundballs are. Any help would be great. Travis

Shooting a target and harvesting an animal at that range is two very different things.

With a .50 cal roundball you should keep your shots under 75 yards as a rule.

I knew a man Tom Pike,deceased, that killed a deer over 200yrds witha RB. But he also won the shoot at Friendship one year. He used a Lymans stock with a Green Mt 54 barrel,110grs 2ff,bore size ball with.10 patch drove in with mallet. He knew what to do. I have killed two deer at a little over 100 yrds with RB. I kinda think a little luck was involved.These were in the open. 80&90 grs .54. Dilly

An elk is a tough animal. My experience with them has been with modern firearms, but I also know BP MLer ballistics--and in my humble opinion with the .50 I'd keep the shots at 75 +/- yds for Elk--a well placed shot should work even at 100, but energies are not impressive at 100 or beyond...

I would keep the shot at 75 yds max with ball or conical on Elk with a .50 the conical is not a great fix all, shoot farther, kills better projectile in the ML world, many veteran ML Elk hunters go back to the RB after trying them.Practice on an Elk sized cutout to judge distance they are decieving in how close they are compared to deer. the .50 ball will do well if used within its limits.go thru the lungs don't try to break down the shoulder.

travis, a 100yd PRB BP shot is a stretch---- but it can be done---- but not often and a wounded elk left to die is not a good thing. Try keeping it under 100, and good luck, By the way, where are you located in MT? :thumbsup:

I shot an elk yesterday at 100 yards with a 54 cal. roundball 90 grains 3f and it passed through both lungs and out the other side.She went 20 yards and died.Same thing with the doe I got yesterday morning.75 yards same gun and load,she went 10 yards and died.

A 35 year old has to be in really good shape to kill and dress an elk one day, and still have energy enough to go huntin' agin the next. :shake:

Got both of these yesterday.Got the doe yesterday mornin and the elk yesterday evening about an hour and a half before dark.
2007muzzleloaderhunt010.jpg

My apologies, sir. I guess it's reasonable shootin' the deer first. Bet you was stiff the next mornin' though. :thumbsup:

Slamfire said:
A 35 year old has to be in really good shape to kill and dress an elk one day, and still have energy enough to go huntin' agin the next. :shake:
that's easy! he's a self employed self selling works with his wife fence seller/installer! probably why he don't play forum much anymore...his wife tires him out! :rotf: nice hunt Brun!!! Congrats!!!!

Could hardly believe it myself.My brother got a nice buck with his bow so we might have to get another freezer if he gets his elk also.

Ok, well we need to learn ya to take better pics but this will do for now. :haha:

Grats Brun, nice meat there. :thumbsup:

Slamfire said:
My apologies, sir. I guess it's reasonable shootin' the deer first. Bet you was stiff the next mornin' though. :thumbsup:

Nah! Did ya see how skinny them critters wuz? Nothin' but skin & hair... I betcha could drag out both of 'em at the same time and hardly break a sweat.
BRUN, you really oughta set out some game feeders.

:blah: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Nice shootin :thumbsup:
Building fence all day keeps ya fit, don't it? :haha:

RC said:
bet behind this success story is a short story about a set trigger.. jus a feelin i have :hmm:
I dont know what yer talkin about. :confused: Thats my story and I'm stickin to it. :grin: :blah:

Back