• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Elk Hunt Advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I knew I might get some heated opinions on this subject.

Yeah, these "campfire" discussions go much better around a real campfire! :grin:

Your dad's .50 with the REAL should do just fine. I'm not too keen on them because my accuracy fell apart between 50 and 100 yards.

Another good bullet is the Lyman Great Plains. Don't know of anybody who sells the bullets, but the mold is available from Track. Not cheap, but excellent quality in all Lyman molds. Bullet looks like this

lyman-508-656_1.jpg

While we are talking bullets, the hands down most accurate bullet I ever fired from my TC .50 was a 450 grain bullet cast from the Lee mold for the .50-70 cartridge. I don't have the mold. A guy in MO sent me some many years ago. He had been experimenting with them and was impressed. So was I! These were invariably all holes touching at 100 yards off the bench.

The mold is .515, so you need a sizer. Lee makes a .501 push through sizer. The mold and the sizer would have your $$$ investment at less than the Lyman mold. It looks like this

lee-90255_1.jpg

There are three downsides to this bullet.

1. Punishing recoil! :shocked2:

2. You will need to replace the nipple every 20 to 25 shots. Actually, any of the heavy bullets including the .50 REAL (the 320 grain model) will burn out the nipples pretty fast. It's either regular replacement or platinum lined nipple.

3. Punishing recoil! :shocked2: Oh, er... guess I already mentioned that. :haha:

The Lyman Plains bullet is the worst bullet I ever shot. Hands down the WORST. I sent the mould back to Lyman. The Specs said .508 and mine was .504 so I sent it in. They said id was in Spec. I sold it and never looked back.

marmotslayer funny you should mention recoil. my dad used to have a T\C Hawken that he shot maxi balls out off. He sold it and bought the LGPR. When I suggested he buy a hunter barrel for the Lyman he made some comment about being too old to be beat to death by his rifle.

These were 50 yard groups with the Lyman

2250398_felt_wad_50_yard_2.jpg

2250399_felt_wad_50_yard_2.jpg

This was a 50 yard with a real

2250325_gr_lee_REAL_50_yard_1st_group_2.jpg

That group was typical for the real with an over powder wad at 50. Here are a few at 100. I went to the 500 S&W bullet because they are a bit more accurate and they hit a ton harder.

22505-25-07_Lee_real_3_5.jpg

22505-25-07_Lee_real_2_5.jpg

22505-25-07_Lee_real_1_5.jpg

Nice. I am shooting an older version of the Hornady GPB. It is 54 Cal and 390 Grains. I worked up to 105 grains (volume) of Pyrodex Select. 90 grains and 100 grains shot good but at 110 the groups really opened up. I am getting an average of 1530 fps.

Here is three groups. I am sighting in at 100 yards by filing my front sight down.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/90803536@N08/18815671724
https://www.flickr.com/photos/90803536@N08/19442422091
https://www.flickr.com/photos/90803536@N08/19442436731

Last edited by a moderator:
That 105 charge looks like you are ready. It is definitely accurate and will have more than enough oomph to do the job. Hope you have enough of those to carry you through the sight in and the hunt.

On, gosh, you are in good shape.

I have a similar dilemma in that my grandson hashis first big game tags this year. I had expected he and his dad to put him in for ML deer and antelope, but he also put him in for elk.

So, now I have this 12 year old boy with an elk tag. Among us we have four choices in .50 cal guns for the deer and lope but not so much in. 54 RB guns. So, we can set him up with a. 50 renegade and slugs, but that is a heavy gun for him to carry. The other .50 guns are lighter and will be more recoil to deal with.

Still have not come to a conclusion and time is running out. One day this week we will go to the range and try some different combos for fit, recoil, etc. The 370 maxi balls might be a bit harsh but the real could work.

Couple months ago I sold all my REAL molds on a cast bullet forum :doh:

Yes that can be a problem. when I was 12 I just had to have a 30-06. my dad tried to talk me into a 243 for my first deer gun but no. I developed the worst flinch because of that gun. needles to say I did not get anything that year but missed a nice shot at a little buck. I flinched so bad I hit the ground at his feet. The only way I fixed it was by my dad casting a bunch of lead bullets for it and practicing with reduced loads all year. The next year I was able to take my first deer.

Sometimes it is hard to find a balance.

Howdy brothers,
sorry I missed the discussion I was at the American mountain man Nationals in WY.
As a sesoned elk hunter I will weigh in as best as I can.
First, Practice,practice,practice. it does not matter what you use as long as you are the best with it.
Like ID Ron I built a Hawken with a fast twist barrel back in 82 in shop class and got the Lyman 270 grn maxiball mold that gave me down range ballistics but with less drop than the traditional 360 grn maxi that T.C. offers now. I killed many white tail ,mulies,elk, and bear with that rifle and I cast all my own conicles and lubed with Steve garbs SPG lube. As I got more traditional and Joined the AMM(boy scouts on steriods)I switched to a R.B. and practiced, practiced,practiced! Notice how that keeps comming up? Practice? I have many Cap and flintlocks in both 50 and 54, I load and shoot both cal to do the job out and beyond 100yrds but keep all my hunting shots in the 100yrs range with open sites. And I practice,practice,practice.
I have never had a elk not die in under two min if I do my part and put it BEHIND! the front leg in both lungs or better yet the heart, I NEVER try to break bones with a soft lead R.B.
I like the Great plaines rifle IMHO it's one of the best commercial guns out there with it's 1 in 48 twist. It needs a thin patch with a 495 r.b. because it has shallow grooves.
I truly don't think that here is much difference between a 54 and a 50 cal r.b. when it comes to clean kills. Eather way it's a huge wound channel. And if you are using a Patched round ball in the open out to 100 yrds do not! forget wind drift.
I just got home and unpacked and saw I had a private topic which lead me to here. I am a couple of barly pops into a tired evening and am sorry for the grammer for I am to beat to edit.
There are many great post here :bow: :hatsoff: and ther is nothing wrong with a conicle or a Patched R.B. for huting elk. Pick one and get is dialed to your rifle and practice your ass off.
I dry fire every night before bed, It is no different than bow hunting.
Adios fer now
Nathan :hatsoff:

GMB - Looks like Nationals was a great time - maybe if what I got in the works turns out I will get to hunt elk again

I have killed a few elk with muzzleloaders -

I shot a nice spike with a 54 Renegade with a PRB at about 50 yds - died quickly

I shot a few with a DGW 50 caliber flintlock at about 50 yds one I tracked for about 100 yds the others died within sight. These were big bodied Roosevelt elk in heavy cover in Washington.

One I killed with a buck and ball load at about 15 yds - he dropped in his tracks - from 62 Centermark Tulle

I bought two 54 rifles recently with the specific purpose to kill elk with should I get back up in elk country

Historically speaking the Corps of Discovery killed a bunch of animals (they needed to eat 10 lbs of meat per man per day) they used 49 to 54 caliber rifles and 69 caliber smoothbores

Historically most of the mountain men carried guns from 50 to 58 caliber based on fur trade records and ledgers - their very survival depended on hunting so anyone that says a 50 or 54 PRB will not work - needs to spend much more time practicing with the load and learn the habits of the game animal better

Cool!

I have never removed any of my ivories, but wish I had. Many hunters these days don't know they exist

KHickam said:
...spend much more time practicing with the load and learn the habits of the game animal better....

That sezz it all.

If we spent as much time shooting and studying game as we do nattering on computers, there'd be lots less to natter about. :idunno:

If we spent as much time shooting and studying game as we do nattering on computers, there'd be lots less to natter about.

Less to natter about :shocked2: Then we will have nothing to do!

Back