• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

elk antler straightening frustration

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
perhaps i am woefully out of my depth, but here goes:

i want to use elk antler (or deer, juts happened to have elk) for an inlay. ... but it was too curvaceous ... so i did the inevitable u-tube / google search and found that if the antler was soaked far a day and then boiled for about a half hour, it would straighten out if pressed in a vise. so i did that

soaked it for about two days, and boiled it for about a half hour, and put it between two bits of wood and squeezed the whole mess tight with a clamp ... it flattened easily, and i let it sit overnight, but then the disappointment started as soon as i removed the clamps,

One bit of wood came off with minor hesitation, but i had to pry the other away, and it looked to have bits of splinter embedded in the antler. What was really a problem was that unlike the pretty white/cream color that i started out with, what i ended up with was a sort of dull tan, and the thing is not really as flat as it was when i unclamped it.

so, what did i do wrong? can my technique be fixed?

You may find that moose antler is better-suited to making inlays. It is often thick enough to flatten the inlay blank without the use of water/boiling/vinegar. Bone scales sold for knife handles also work well.

Elk antlers can be very large with unlimited shapes and surfaces. I would not try to alter or "make-due" with the wrong shape.
Just get a different horn.
What shape and size is your inlay? I may be able to help you out. I am blessed to share my yard with elk.

Yes, vinegar removes/dissolves calcium. Calcium is the element that makes the bone rigid. The more calcium you remove, the softer the bone will become. Semper Fi.
Doesn't sound like a good thing to do. You want hardness to remain for antler made items. I have had some Axis deer antler. They are long and straight(er) than whitetail. They only have a small blood line compared to the large marrow in many other deer antlers. It makes very pretty items. Unfortunately the small supply source I once had access to has gone away.

Doesn't sound like a good thing to do. You want hardness to remain for antler made items. I have had some Axis deer antler. They are long and straight(er) than whitetail. They only have a small blood line compared to the large marrow in many other deer antlers. It makes very pretty items. Unfortunately the small supply source I once had access to has gone away.
Try Glacier Wear or Moscow Hide and Fur. They seem to be able to get most anything. Semper Fi.

Latest posts

Back