• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Something I tried for the first time?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Two Feathers

62 Cal.
MLF Sponsor
Reaction score
Howdy folks:
Here's a project I tried just for the heck of it? This is my first ever attempt at this.

I had finished an Elk antler pan primer that I had just finished like the rest. But this one has a cosmetic flaw in the surface that I didn't like? I could have maybe sanded it out I think, but I might have gone through into the powder chamber? So I decided to try an experiment. I wanted to put a rawhide patch over the flaw, just for looks. This is the same thing they would have done in the 17 or 1800's. I contacted one of the most PC knowledgeable members (Notchy Bob) and he straightened me out on how to proceed. With his advice I got it done. I've read posts here about Cracked stocks being repaired with Rawhide patches. I'm attaching some pics. of my project for your thoughts? You can see the flaw in the primer before I did the Elk Rawhide patch then after I got finished. The patch is stitched on with real Elk Sinew, NOT artificial.
Thank you for any thoughts.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Attachments

• Primer flaw 001.JPG
    Primer flaw 001.JPG
    315.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Primer with patch 001.JPG
    Primer with patch 001.JPG
    399.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Primer with patch 002.JPG
    Primer with patch 002.JPG
    447.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Primer with patch 003.JPG
    Primer with patch 003.JPG
    456.7 KB · Views: 0
Is it for sale, and about how much powder does it hold?

I like the one I got from you last year, but it's a little bulkier than I'd like. Might have to try this one if it's available.

Is it for sale, and about how much powder does it hold?

I like the one I got from you last year, but it's a little bulkier than I'd like. Might have to try this one if it's available.
Hey painter:
Well buddy. I didn't really think I'd be selling it like this? I figured on listing it.
However, after looking things over. I'm thinking $70.00 shipped?
It measures 6-1/2" end to end. I'm not dead certain about the Qty. of powder it'll hold, but I can find out tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it will be at least 200 grains?
Let me know your wishes.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Looks good to me. I always liked the repairs made on guns with rawhide. Care to share the stitching technique? Always wondered how you stitch it tight.hHawkeyehunter50:
Thank you for your compliment.
As for the stitching???? You don't really need to stitch that tight? Rawhide shrinks when it dries. It was more trial n error than much of anything else? Notchy Bob gave me his awesome advice and I kinda' went from there?
I "split" the sinew into strands. I grabbed a strand about 6" long and as thin as I could get. I wrapped the rawhide strip around the primer and marked the ends with a pencil allowing for a slight (1/8") overlap. Next I trimmed the strip to length and soaked that AND the "thread" in warm water. I left the first 1" of the sinew thread OUT of the water so it stayed hard. Them (when both the rawhide pieces were soft, I laid the "Patch" on a piece of styrofoam and poked holes through both ends about 1/8" in from the ends. Then I tied a small knot in the soft end of the "thread" and passed the hard end through the eye of my Saddlers needle. Then I wrapped the patch around the tine and pulled the needle through the first hole in each end like a draw string bag. Next I slid the patch down around the tine covering the flaw. After that it was just spiral stitch pulling (carefully) the 2 ends together allowing for a bit of overlap. Then I left the whole thing dry on a floor register until it was dry and stiff. Finally, I pulled it back off and covered the inside with Yellow wood glue using an Acid brush. I carefully slid the patch BACK in place and using that same Acid Brush, but wet, I brushed the entire outside of the patch with the water, soaking it. I let it dry and Voila'....a successful patch job!
I hope I've covered it clearly? In hindsight, I may have rushed the explanation to avoid punishment for being Off Topic in this forum, but you get the idea.
One Caveat. Be careful, wet rawhide DOES rip. You'll notice that on the one end of my patch, so don't pull too hard when you're stitching.
I hope this inspires someone else to try it? If I can do it...anyone can!
God bless:
Two Feathers

I have two gifted primers; one is made from a deer leg bone and the other is made from a flattened horn tip. Second from left is a horn tip and the one on the right is the deer leg bone primer.
DSC00506.jpg

Howdy folks:
Here's a project I tried just for the heck of it? This is my first ever attempt at this.

I had finished an Elk antler pan primer that I had just finished like the rest. But this one has a cosmetic flaw in the surface that I didn't like? I could have maybe sanded it out I think, but I might have gone through into the powder chamber? So I decided to try an experiment. I wanted to put a rawhide patch over the flaw, just for looks. This is the same thing they would have done in the 17 or 1800's. I contacted one of the most PC knowledgeable members (Notchy Bob) and he straightened me out on how to proceed. With his advice I got it done. I've read posts here about Cracked stocks being repaired with Rawhide patches. I'm attaching some pics. of my project for your thoughts? You can see the flaw in the primer before I did the Elk Rawhide patch then after I got finished. The patch is stitched on with real Elk Sinew, NOT artificial.
Thank you for any thoughts.
God bless:
Two Feathers
Looks great!

Back