• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

EIC P-1771 Brown Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been looking through IMA's online stock and I keep seeing their EIC P-1771 Brown Bess muskets and don't really know much about them. I wanted to buy one but I need a bit more info on the musket so I was wondering if any of you helpful chaps could tell me a little about this musket.
Cheers, T4M :hatsoff:

The 4th Musketeer said:
I've been looking through IMA's online stock and I keep seeing their EIC P-1771 Brown Bess muskets and don't really know much about them. I wanted to buy one but I need a bit more info on the musket so I was wondering if any of you helpful chaps could tell me a little about this musket.
Cheers, T4M :hatsoff:

I am a bit confused. I have traded with IMA off and on for years and have always been happy with my purchases although none of them have been firearms. On their site they say that the assembled guns should not be fired. However, the information on the kit does not say that and the video above shows a musket assembled from a kit which was fired repeatedly and I note the first shot was fired from the guy's shoulder, which I would not do. I guess it depends on what you want to do with the musket as to whether it is a good deal. Certainly as a wall hanger it will be very interesting but firing it - I don't know. A lot of the stuff found in Nepal is NOT in working or firing condition after years of careless storage. I have seen some of the Martinis firsthand. I guess it is really up to you but just exercise caution.

I have purchased one of their "kits" and although it was not one of the EIC ones per say, it was one of the "temple marked" lock musket kits. What you are getting is an authentic piece of history in untouched condition, with a newly manufactured stock that you will have to make the parts fit into. At the time I bought mine, the did guarantee that the lock would at least function, though it would be absolutely filthy, the only cleaning that would be done to it on their end would be to see if it was "temple marked" or if it was marked with the EIC markings, other than that, it could be stuck frozen, etc, but it was supposed to be complete and functional. How they could know that if it was frozen with crude is beyond me, but if it was not in working condition, you were supposed to send it back WITHOUT working on it for replacement. The barrel could be pitted, rusted full of sand, bugs leaves etc from being stored for 125 plus years. It will come stamped most likely with the two "feet" impression that represented a certain emperor or something, I forget his name, I have the book here. You can see where the barrel was forged by twisting the iron bands on a mandrel, think of a candy cane appearance, very nice looking once cleaned up.And you get the original ram rod. The rest of the "gun" will be from the new kit and parts that come with the stock. IMA says that the locks came from England and were made there, but when they were give to the Kingdom, the Nepalese did not want the EIC logo on it because of the cross, and filed it off, destroying all English markings off the locks, who knows if this is true or not or if these were made in country. The bore on my musket is .78 and I do shoot it, I honed it carefully when I first got it after soaking the whole thing in Evaporust for a few days, it came out very good. It shoots good, but I would not pay the price for the 1771 marked musket, I personally considered it myself but decided against it, it was just too much money to spend. Hope this explains it a little for you.

thanks a lot, I really do appreciate it and I'll keep all this in mind if I want to buy one. But do you know anything about the P-1771 musket itself? Like where it came from and why it was EIC, or why the army didn't adopt it until later?
Cheers, T4M

East India Company was a private organisation with its own military force in India , they had their own patterns for their firearms based on their requirements these guns were made for them , when the fat Frenchy ran amock the BRITISH MILITARY ( ORD DEPT. ) were short on guns and purchased lots of these muskets from the EIC and later adopted this pattern for them selves .(a very simplified version of what happened ) Some time around 1820 on the EIC supplied the Nepal forces with a vast quantity of these then surplus arms .

still cant make up my mind. I was all ready to order one until I talked to ima and they basically talked me out of it, saying they can't be shot. I'm still on the fence, but I have to be able to shoot it. I would mag and probably xray it (that's what I do at work) to see if there are any cracks and how bad the pitting at the base of the bore is. The kit would be a fun project.

Of course they are going to tell you that it cant be shot, that is to cover their @ss in case something goes wrong and that 200 year old barrel turns into a pipe bomb. There are YouTube videos of them being shot, I have on that I shoot, you just have to look them over, use your judgement, and do a proof test on the barrel and then do not load it as if it were a newly constructed piece. Reduced loads work fine, I shoot mine regularly with 70 grains and a ball. Expect to use a hone on the bore to clean it up, these are not the greatest investment but an interesting piece of history.

I guess that doesn't answer much. East India company was the main British company in India kind of like the Hudson bay company here. But they had there own army. in a nutshell but there's a lot more to it than that.
Ima is an antique firearms importer out of the states.

Frankly, since you want a shooter, I would let it pass and look for something else. I already noted the contradiction between the literature on the gun and the video of the completed kit being fired. IMA has to cover itself for sure but it is misleading to have a video link on their site showing a completed kit being fired.

Back