• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Effects of paper patched bullets on rifling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeadShark

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hello.

Had a small chat with a clubmate recently about me wanting to make paper cartridges with paper patched bullets for my muzzle loaders. He warned me about using paper patched bullets because the paper would "wear down the rifling fast".

I am sceptical since rifles like the P53 Enfield were historically used with paper patched bullets.

Is there any truth to his claim?

Hello.

Had a small chat with a clubmate recently about me wanting to make paper cartridges with paper patched bullets for my muzzle loaders. He warned me about using paper patched bullets because the paper would "wear down the rifling fast".

I am sceptical since rifles like the P53 Enfield were historically used with paper patched bullets.

Allow me to put my "spin" on it. :)

The short answer is no. Lube your paper, and remember the biggest factor in barrel wear is velocity. Which isn't a problem with black powder.

Hopefully Idaho Ron will see this and chime in, few know more about paper patching than he does.

It dosn't take much rifling to turn a paper patched bullet you would have to shoot an awful lot to wear rifling with well cleaned black powder guns. One night rusting will do more damage than a years shooting is an adage I seem to recall .
Rudyard

Lube your paper
Don’t suggest lubing the paper, as the lube will cause the paper to breakdown.
He warned me about using paper patched bullets because the paper would "wear down the rifling fast".
Your clubmate is correct about the paper ‘wearing down the rifling’, it just isn’t going to happen fast. If you and your heirs continue to shoot paper patched bullets (or non paper patched bullets) some future generation will eventually wear out the bore, though most likely cause will be from improper use of a ramrod or cleaning rod. Ask your clubmate what kind of paper he was using and how many shots it took before he measured wear to the rifling in his bore.

I am still a novice shooting paper patched bullets, with the most rounds I have put through any one barrel probably somewhere between 1500 and 2000. I have looked for signs of wear, nothing to date. I use an adjustable sizing die (repeatable to about .0001” increments) and once zeroed in for a barrel and bullet, have not needed to make adjustments to accommodate for any wear. The paper I use is vintage 9lb 100% cotton onion skin (currently manufactured onion skin is 25% cotton I believe) and while I have shinny bores in my paper patch shooting guns, I am not seeing any measurable wear.

BS if I was to listen to all the comments and to go doing I would never shoot Sharps shoots paper and have seen ones that are old old What would ware rifling issue lead from what they are shooting This the same thing that now wares rifle bores period😱

Paper patch loads don’t shoot paper into bore the paper get burn in the chamber not the bore the only thing that should be touching bore would be the ball or bullet there is some ash from the Burt paper that generally in the chamber 😳

Paper patch loads don’t shoot paper into bore the paper get burn in the chamber not the bore the only thing that should be touching bore would be the ball or bullet there is some ash from the Burt paper that generally in the chamber 😳
With a muzzleloader, the paper patch material sure does go through the bore. You will see the confetti as you shoot and find it on the ground in front of you. The slightly over bore diameter felt or veggie wad between the powder and the paper patched bullet protects the paper from the heat and flame of powder burning. Have a photograph somewhere (can’t find it right now) that shows the paper exiting the muzzle.

With a muzzleloader, the paper patch material sure does go through the bore. You will see the confetti as you shoot and find it on the ground in front of you. The slightly over bore diameter felt or veggie wad between the powder and the paper patched bullet protects the paper from the heat and flame of powder burning. Have a photograph somewhere (can’t find it right now) that shows the paper exiting the muzzle.
I think Archer is confusing paper patching with paper cartridges.

I think Archer is confusing paper patching with paper cartridges.
Think you are correct. He mentioned shooting a Sharps, which can use combustible cartridges and I imagine the paper would be consumed before the bullet leaves the muzzle. Not a topic I have much personal experience with, have fired one only a handful of times. Definitely a difference between paper patched bullets I was referring to and a combustible cartridge.

I agree. Archer must be thinking of paper cartridges, not paper patched bullets.

I guarantee that the paper wrapped around these bullets is pinched tightly between the bullet and the bore when my Schuetzen fires them. The only thing that will burn off is the paper that is tucked into the cavity at the rear of the bullet.
Bullets-006.jpg

As for wearing out the barrel, don't worry about it. If anything, during the first 20,000+ shots, the paper will just polish the steel.

You must lube the paper patch. 50/50 vaseline and bee's wax is a good mix. The patches are applied wet. It will shrink and stick to itself. Use two layers. The patch is trapezoid shape. A properly done paper patch is halfway to a metal jacket.

IF this interests you get a book "The Paper Jacket" by Paul Mathews

Hello.

Could be your club mate needs to eat more fiber. A soft (wood, brass, aluminum) ramrod will wear a barrel, esp. front end, more than any projectile you can send thru it. Also, if your patching is a little dirty, it becomes a linear sanding machine when it is fired. Take care of the little things, shoot all the paper patched pills you want.

Could be your club mate needs to eat more fiber. A soft (wood, brass, aluminum) ramrod will wear a barrel, esp. front end, more than any projectile you can send thru it. Also, if your patching is a little dirty, it becomes a linear sanding machine when it is fired. Take care of the little things, shoot all the paper patched pills you want.
This has to happen with the grit on the ramrod. No way can wood wear away the steel that barrels are made of. Secret it to keep the rod clean. I bet most guys don't wipe down the ramrod.

This has to happen with the grit on the ramrod. No way can wood wear away the steel that barrels are made of. Secret it to keep the rod clean. I bet most guys don't wipe down the ramrod.
That grit in the barrel is carbon, baby diamonds, some particles are very hard. The problem is they imbed themselves in the soft ramrod and the ramrod becomes a lap. I have smoothed up scores of barrels with a soft lead lap, coated in abrasive grit. Wipe that ramrod at every opportunity.

I make a lot of 45/70 paper patched rounds. I have had a bullet mold made for my rifle.
The size of the boolit is .020 smaller than the bore. so when I do a two wrap, its a hair over bore. Dry paper too.
Id not try this with a bore stuffer.

I make a lot of 45/70 paper patched rounds. I have had a bullet mold made for my rifle.
The size of the boolit is .020 smaller than the bore. so when I do a two wrap, its a hair over bore. Dry paper too.
Id not try this with a bore stuffer.
Guessing typo on the .020” smaller than the bore? Maybe .002” smaller, or is there something new here?

These are my paper cartridges for my .54 1803 rifle. I use cooking parchment because it is tougher and has silicones in it that help it not stick, I watched my wife bake with it at 600 degrees one day and realized it was burning, not even charging. The cord is also waxed thread, Works great.

The ball end is waxed with a mixture of bees wax, carbona wax, pine Rosen and cooking oils. The paper does not break down.

I can load all day with these without swabbing.

Attachments

• 3BBB0929-DB04-4F5E-BC40-EDA11229BF78.jpeg
    3BBB0929-DB04-4F5E-BC40-EDA11229BF78.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 58
Back