• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Edward Marshall/Christians Springs rifle question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frod733

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hello. I am rebuilding a EM/CS rifle that was poorly done. I notice that the forearm ahead of lock is somewhat squarish in cross section. Is this normal for this model? I believe it was built from a Jim Chambers kit, but not sure about that. The stock has beautiful figures so I
would like to retain it. Thanks

Hi,
Here is what it should look like.
HrYtaH2.jpg

BRvoqd1.jpg

jz9TC4I.jpg

0vDnuIx.jpg

dave

Thanks for the replies. Would it be possible to get some dimensions vertically and horizontally of the stock, mid-point between the front of the lock and the ramrod entry pipe? Would be greatly appreciated. The original builder may have removed too much wood on the vertical sides and made it look sort of square. I want to see if I can do some manipulation of the stock to get it closer to what it should be. Also, has anyone built a Chambers Edward Marshall kit and ran into these same problems?? I might consider getting a replacement, but don't want to end up with the same problems. Thanks!!!

Hi,
First, you cannot build a correct Edward Marshall rifle using the Chambers kit because the lock is badly wrong. Look at my lock above, which is very close to the original. Note the bottom does not curve very much unlike the Chambers lock. That curve changes everyting causing the entire wrist architecture to deviate from the original. The original profile is so much better looking. As far as dimensions, find a set of Houston Harrison's plans for the Marshall rifle. The dimensions you seek are both 1 5/16". The forestock is very slim but the wrist and butt are very big. If you don't have good plans or have never seen the original rifle, good luck. This thread provides a lot of information.
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/building-an-edward-marshall-rifle.128586/
dave

If you are skilled enough to work from book photographs , I recommend Shumways books. They show good details. The Marshal rifle is a difficult rifle to copy , to get it right. Study some photo's , that would help.

Thanks for the replies. Would it be possible to get some dimensions vertically and horizontally of the stock, mid-point between the front of the lock and the ramrod entry pipe? Would be greatly appreciated. The original builder may have removed too much wood on the vertical sides and made it look sort of square. I want to see if I can do some manipulation of the stock to get it closer to what it should be. Also, has anyone built a Chambers Edward Marshall kit and ran into these same problems?? I might consider getting a replacement, but don't want to end up with the same problems. Thanks!!!
Some pics, maybe with a ruler or square involved, of your problem area might help our experts to better advise how to fix it.

It starts out square if starting from a blank. With a precarve or kit, who knows. Many beginning builders mostly round the corners and end up with an oblong shape. What is desired is an ovoid or egg shape, which can vary among styles. It’s probably still achievable.
IMG_1040.jpeg

It starts out square if starting from a blank. With a precarve or kit, who knows. Many beginning builders mostly round the corners and end up with an oblong shape. What is desired is an ovoid or egg shape, which can vary among styles. It’s probably still achievable.View attachment 253576
Thanks. The forearm was kind of oblong, per your pic. I am trying to achieve the ovoid shape by some judicious shaping and adding of some relief carving which, thankfully, there was not much.

Thanks. The forearm was kind of oblong, per your pic. I am trying to achieve the ovoid shape by some judicious shaping and adding of some relief carving which, thankfully, there was not much.
Like many, I add pencil lines lengthwise on the stock, setting out the “high point” or widest point of the stock, and a couple more guidelines. One halfway between that line and the top edge of the stock, and a couple more to the centerline on the bottom of the fore-end. Then most folks rasp “flats” between the lines then finish rounding it. You’ll need to really study transitions from lock panels to the fore arm and wrist. See Dave’s pictures above.

Like many, I add pencil lines lengthwise on the stock, setting out the “high point” or widest point of the stock, and a couple more guidelines. One halfway between that line and the top edge of the stock, and a couple more to the centerline on the bottom of the fore-end. Then most folks rasp “flats” between the lines then finish rounding it. You’ll need to really study transitions from lock panels to the fore arm and wrist. See Dave’s pictures above.
I would add a good steel straight edge is our friend.

Set the thin edge lengthwise on the stock and check for both valleys and rises.

Carefully work the stock until there's no rocking or gaps.

Back