• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Early style '70s vintage Hawken stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Been looking for another clean, early style .54cal TC Hawken stock from the 70's and just picked this one up...a caplock model bought new by the owner in 1978...a honey color with some pretty good grain / figure under the factory finish that should highlight when stripped & rubbed with Tru-Oil...will convert it to a Flintlock and if ready in time, might drop in my GM .62cal and go after a turkey with it next month.

030408Topviewleftside54calHawkencap.jpg

That's a nice find RB.
Is it an illusion or are the triggers and hammer polished/shiny?

HD

Huntin Dawg said:
That's a nice find RB.
Is it an illusion or are the triggers and hammer polished/shiny?

HD
Apparently it was his lighting or flash...I have another photo where it's the normal black/blue color

The grain in that stock should show very well with the oil finish, after seeing pictures of several of your rifles I stripped one of mine and gave it the true oil treatment it looks great the oil finish realy gives the stock a different look.

DNICK said:
The grain in that stock should show very well with the oil finish, after seeing pictures of several of your rifles I stripped one of mine and gave it the true oil treatment it looks great the oil finish realy gives the stock a different look.
Yeah, Tru-Oil and Walnut seem to have been made for each other...it really is surprising how pretty some stocks are that end up looking so ho-hum by the spray on factory finishes...I've refinished a few now that have turned out simply beautiful when all that 'hidden' grain and figure was highlighted...

Back