• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Early muzzleloader seasons over for me!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B.Habermehl

45 Cal.
Reaction score
What a season, got out Monday morning, a good hour before sunrise. The morning goes by uneventfully, about 9 o'clock I see a deer shaped object in the fog. Cool, this a large deer, got to let it get a bunch closer to be sure it's not a buck, I think to myself. A good half hour goes by and I see a little deer approaching my stand. Then the bigger one appears, definitely a doe. I thumb the hammer back on my new .45 cal flintlock target gun. The sights align on the does chest. Boom, as I peer through the smoke I see two deer bounding away at Mach two. They happen to go through some open woods and I can still see them bounding off at least 100 yards out. I reload and try to calm my shaking hands. Then I lower the gun from the tree, and climb down. Recovering the gun I prime the lock and go to where the deer were standing. No hair no blood no odor of shocked deer, just kicked up leaves. I zig zag along their escape route and find no sign of blood. To the same area as where they disappeared a good hundred yards from the stand. Disgusted but satisfied that I missed clean I call it a day. To be continued........BJH

"To be continued . . . "

Dog-with-treat-on-nose.jpg

Intending to rest the stand for a day or so, it turned into three days. This morning, at o dark thirty I climb into my stand and wait for dawn, looking up at Venus Mars and Jupiter lined up in a row in the sky. Today I'm carrying my .58 cal. English rifle, not having much faith in the target gun even though I won our club shoot with it a week or so ago. As dawn approaches and I can see well enough I prime the lock, close the frizzen and slide the hammer stall over the frizzen. Way off to my right I see a deer shaped object about 80 yards out. Too far to tell buck or doe and too close to the cliff. So I wait and watch. After a bit it disappears. Soon I see a bunch of deer shaped movement way off to my right again, over the " cliff" they go. Then I see a pair of deer to my right but closer. I watch them for a while, and see a dark lump to my left that wasn't there before. It moves and shakes it's head, dang it's a buck, it holds it's head up as if it smells me. This doesn't look good, I watch and see it's making a scrape, the head positioning is it leaving scent on the overhanging brush. I turn my eyes to the other two deer and they are only about 30 yards out and approaching the buck. He turns and moseys off. They wander over to the scrape then start to mill around towards me. Every time I start to raise the rifle I have a set of eyes looking my way. I thumb off the hammer stall and raise the rifle o so slowly. The sights align with the shoulder of the nearest deer, Boom. I peer through the smoke expecting to see running deer, and see no movement, Really? Then I see a white belly, oh, oh, it's still breathing. I start to reload and a bad thought crosses my mind did I leave my reload tin on the front seat of my truck? I feel in my pouch, whew, it's there. I tear one of my paper cartridges, pour the powder, and spit patch a ball, and reload. The whole time the other deer is still hanging around. I have to put the deer I shot down so I lower the rifle down, and climb down. Once on the ground I go to reprime and only get a dribble of powder. I look and see it is the scant side of enough. I approach the downed deer and see I hit it high in the shoulder, shattering the spine but I still have a live deer. I cock and raise the rifle settling the sights on the head and fire. It's all over now, I mentally make my apologies to the deer for my sub par first shot, and thank it and the Creator for the harvest. This is the first time I ever had to make a coup de gras shot, I really didn't like it. Now the work begins....

PS, sorry no pictures, after having to take the head shot there was no gracious way of getting a picture.

I have had sim. things happen several times. When it did I simply approached slowly and when in range I quickly dropped as hard as I could on one knee behind the shoulder of the deer and it was lights out for the deer. I finished off my first bull elk which was trying to get up after being shot through by jumping both feet behind his shoulder. A KILLING HEART SHOT.

B.Habermehl said:
Intending to rest the stand for a day or so, it turned into three days. This morning, at o dark thirty I climb into my stand and wait for dawn, looking up at Venus Mars and Jupiter lined up in a row in the sky. Today I'm carrying my .58 cal. English rifle, not having much faith in the target gun even though I won our club shoot with it a week or so ago. As dawn approaches and I can see well enough I prime the lock, close the frizzen and slide the hammer stall over the frizzen. Way off to my right I see a deer shaped object about 80 yards out. Too far to tell buck or doe and too close to the cliff. So I wait and watch. After a bit it disappears. Soon I see a bunch of deer shaped movement way off to my right again, over the " cliff" they go. Then I see a pair of deer to my right but closer. I watch them for a while, and see a dark lump to my left that wasn't there before. It moves and shakes it's head, dang it's a buck, it holds it's head up as if it smells me. This doesn't look good, I watch and see it's making a scrape, the head positioning is it leaving scent on the overhanging brush. I turn my eyes to the other two deer and they are only about 30 yards out and approaching the buck. He turns and moseys off. They wander over to the scrape then start to mill around towards me. Every time I start to raise the rifle I have a set of eyes looking my way. I thumb off the hammer stall and raise the rifle o so slowly. The sights align with the shoulder of the nearest deer, Boom. I peer through the smoke expecting to see running deer, and see no movement, Really? Then I see a white belly, oh, oh, it's still breathing. I start to reload and a bad thought crosses my mind did I leave my reload tin on the front seat of my truck? I feel in my pouch, whew, it's there. I tear one of my paper cartridges, pour the powder, and spit patch a ball, and reload. The whole time the other deer is still hanging around. I have to put the deer I shot down so I lower the rifle down, and climb down. Once on the ground I go to reprime and only get a dribble of powder. I look and see it is the scant side of enough. I approach the downed deer and see I hit it high in the shoulder, shattering the spine but I still have a live deer. I cock and raise the rifle settling the sights on the head and fire. It's all over now, I mentally make my apologies to the deer for my sub par first shot, and thank it and the Creator for the harvest. This is the first time I ever had to make a coup de gras shot, I really didn't like it. Now the work begins....

PS, sorry no pictures, after having to take the head shot there was no gracious way of getting a picture.

I know exactly how you feel. that's what started the decline in my desire to deer hunt. I gut shot 2 deer in a row, one running and the other I must have pulled the shot. it was truly a heart breaking experience for me but if you hunt long and hard enough it is pretty likely to happen sooner or later, at least for us brush hunters.

congrats on the fine deer.

creek

Back