• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dutch Schoultz and Blackpowder Accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its regular sail cloth - patches supplied by Jeff Tanner - he supplies it in regular diameters and thinknesses from .005 to .030 I think. Its a very close weave material and very strong - a bit less flexible than Fustian - the material used for making period uniform britches.
As for the spit patch - I did apply Dutches principle and in the end - spit is what this gun wanted. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailcloth

Last edited by a moderator:
I would add that I was lent a copy of Dutch's formulae some ten years ago by a local shooter here who took pity on my efforts to get a patch ball gun shooting. I went on to buy my own copy and have had my share of gold silver and bronze medals with loads sorted using his info. That confidence has helped me in other disciplines including long range - last year I won gold in original class at 600 yards at the International event at Bisley UK

hey dutch, im new to the world of muzzle loading and ive already learned a couple things just poken around your website!

your site didnt like either of my cards so i got a check coming your way via snail mail.

thanks for passen on yer wisdom to us young guys! :bow:

edit: as to your comment about young people getting into the hobby... im 27. im working on getting my coeworkers into it aswell but it takes patients alotta young (and even old) guys dont have.

well i'm pretty new to this site, and i'm 37, so i've got alot to learn. Dutch i found your site, and i'll send you some money, i got to have this info that everyone is speaking of. cause lord knows my shooting needs some improving. :grin:

Dutch Schoultz said:
I have about 30 left and if the decline in orders persists I will not be reprinting.

Dutch

I just ordered and I hope I can get a copy.
After visiting Dutch's web site I went out and weight sorted my lead and measured my jag diameters.

Thanks for the work Dutch! :hatsoff:

After reading all the good things I just ordered mine. I can't wait to try it.
Thanks to everyone for the information,
David

It grieves me to admit that after 84 years I finally made a mistake. In the "Sighting In" Tip on my web site I was 180 degrees away from correct.

The error has now been corrected. If not,right on. please let me know.

In addition there has been another section on adjusting powder charges added to the Tips section and written by Dan Lambert of Rhode Island.

Dutch Schoultz - who is contemplating a cataract operation to prevent such errors and to eliminate my interesting spelling.

In another post I pointed out that there actually was a 180 degree error but that it has now been corrected .

In the process my computer mentor, Dan Lambert, added a section on selecting a proper powder charge.

I can't believe how long it took for someone (including me) to spot that hummer.

Dutch Schoultz

The god thing about prelude patches is that it is likely that each patch has pretty much the same amount of lubrication.
Of course it might also mean that each patch is equally wrong for your rifle.

After about three years of fussing I was getting the balls to hit dead center as far as left and right is concerned butI was getting vertical strings of hits.

Now the powder was exactly the same for each shot, same patching, the same barrel condition so the only variable was in the lubrication of the patch.

Up to that time I thought Slicker is better. My experimenting gave me a surprise.
Having determined how to lubricate patching strips in increasing amounts of the oil I began with the slickest sample and got a circular group about 5" wide. Just like you get with insufficient powder charges. I almost gave up at that point but what the heck So fired five more shots at a new 3" target and the group was a tad smaller. I continued using progressively dryer patches and the group shrank markedly with each dryer
patching strip til the next to the last strip which was so dry I could smell the oil but not feel it in the material.
This gave me the tightest group ever. The last strip was very dry, so dry that I couldn't load without enormous whacks on the short starter (How to get short starter elbow)
That strip gave me three shots dead on and two dramatic flyers.
Apparently slicker was not better, it was worser. (New word).

In effect the more the load offered resistance the better the group.

My conclusions that with a slick lube, as soon as the powder begins to burn (we're talking nanoseconds here) the ball begins to move and before the powder has done its thing the ball is a good distance down range.

That is my thinking and why I think that way.

Your mileage may differ.

Dutch Schoultz

Thank you for the kind word.
My speedy service is caused by my being in my 85th year.
You don't put things off til tomorrow or buy green bananas. Also I hate waiting around for stuff. So I never waited for checks to clear
An interesting thing I have noticed is that while I was told to expect a 3% of checks to bounce on average. I have had a different experience. In selling 3,594 sets of the System I have had One (1) check bounce that was never made good.

I have also had a bunch of people send me funds because they felt guilty because they benefited from my research using a borrowed set.

I have learned that black Powder People are peculiarly honest.
They can be cantankerous (old word) and occasionally silly but buy God they honor their word and I trust them all without exception.

They are the most helpful and considerate folks I have ever encountered.

Dutch Schoultz

Thank you for your post on German sighting-in problems.
I understand that German Rifle Ranges are ALL enclosed in high walled settings. It would seem that they would never really learn how to compensate for crosswinds.

The Hege Company of Oberlingangan, Germany< bought the System and after a month or so, wrote back that while the System worked I would never get Black Powder (Schwarzpulver)
riflemen to believe it.

Hege Company GMBH has been in the BP business since the 1400"s. They feel a lot of the rifles etc that are available to usplustheir own products which are more like jewelry and priced accordingly.

They sent me a catalog and it brought back feelings of Lust in this old body.

Dutch Schoultz

I did most of my experimental shooting on a rifle range just across the Missouri river from St. Charles, missouri where the Lewis and Clark expedition took off.
The range was oriented on a North/South axis. and the prevailing wind in this area is east/west.

On a gusty day I figured that when the wind is gusty, that you fire just as the gust is dying down. There is that very brief lull after each wind squirt.

The only variable you can't control is the darn wind. But you can try to outwit it.

Dutch Schoultz

Do young people ask you, "What was Lincoln really like"
When young ladies express amazement that am circumambient I tell them that Abe was Tall, moved in a slow measured pace and had a high squeaky voice like George Patton.

Dutch.

ihuntsnook ,
You're a writer? Ad copy, Magazine articles, Books/ What?
I spent a lot of time wiring and decided it was a high faulting' way to remain slim and agile.

As an English major I found that if you can read you can teach anything. I spent a number of years teaching business courses at Washington U. here in St.Louis

I tried to teach with humor because people tend to remember amusing stuff a bit better than dry facts.

I'm not sure if this has been asked but can Balistol be used for the lubricant with this system?
I bought the package years ago and still go by it.

I never used Ballistol because the old style water soluble oil was available . Progress being what it is the current cutting and grinding oils are not the same thing as the old water soluble oil and in the black Powder application it doesn't work.

It was subscribers of mine who discovered that Ballistol used in the same way as the old W. S. Oil works just as well.

If I remember correctly the person who pointed this out to me was the same man who wrote the "Must Read' letter on my web site.

Ballistol was invented Ballistol toward the end of the 19th century for use in cleaning and maintaining rifles. Its also good on bug bites.

Dutch Schoultz

Thanks Dutch. I've never used Ballistol as it hasn't been sold here in the Great White North. I was planning to pick up some when I go south of the border soon.
The patches using the lastest batch of cutting oil I use don't seem to hold accuracy after a few months. I blame the oil as in years gone by I had no problem but I ran out of my first bunch of cutting oil.

hey Dutch, i just got mine in the mail today, can't wait to read it. thanks a million!

Latest posts

Back