• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dunlap Woodcrafts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erhunter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone here have experience with the flintlock kits from Dunlap Woodcrafts of Virginia? I happened on this site by chance and it seems like they have a great product, expecially with the wood grades they offer and their prices. Any info would be appreciated!

You can't do much better. My Isaac Haines is made from a Dunlap kit. Still going strong after 15 years of hunting and no problems.

Thanks MtnMan for your reply! Do they use Jim Chambers' locks and Rice barrels? How long of a barrel did you get, what caliber, and how is the balance?

Yes, it's a Rice .54 38" swamped barrel. The balance is pretty far to the rear for such a long barrel. It feels perfect for offhand shooting. It weighs 7 lbs 11 oz. Not sure what lock he uses now. Probably a Chambers lock. Mine is a Siler which is basically the same. I think Jim did make some improvements on it.

The stock is still perfect. No sign of any cracks.

You'll be happy with the gun.

Thank you guys for your replies and they seem like a great company to deal with. MtnMan, I plan on getting a .45 because I already have a Lyman Trade in .54. I am also thinking of a Chambers kit. I have handled an Early York from Jim and I wonder what the difference would be in rifle fit compared to the Issac Haines 32 inch compared to Jim's 42 inch A weight barrel. Jim doesn't advertise what grades of wood he sells, just $100 plus, $150 plus etc. does anyone know what Jim's $100 plus stock equals in grade of wood?

I've order European walnut three times from Dunlap. All excellent. Not familiar with the kits. Great to do business with.

Rick

Thank you guys for your replies and they seem like a great company to deal with. MtnMan, I plan on getting a .45 because I already have a Lyman Trade in .54. I am also thinking of a Chambers kit. I have handled an Early York from Jim and I wonder what the difference would be in rifle fit compared to the Issac Haines 32 inch compared to Jim's 42 inch A weight barrel. Jim doesn't advertise what grades of wood he sells, just $100 plus, $150 plus etc. does anyone know what Jim's $100 plus stock equals in grade of wood?
You can always order a blank of any grade you desire, send it to Barbie Chambers and they will carve the stock for your kit. And you get a discount also.
I can't interpret how Chambers grades his wood.

Thanks Darkhorse for your reply. I have a friend who has a piece of black walnut 2 1/2 inches thickX7 foot long. I was thinking of sending it to Barbie for an Early York kit.

I'll be picking up my Dunlap IH kit later this month. It's my first time dealing with them, but they've been great so far. I live pretty close, so I can pick it up in person and save the cost of shipping - not to mention the hassle that come from shipping anything these days.

I've bought a lot of wood off of Wayne in the past 30 years. I'm particular and always visit him and pick exactly what I want. A couple years ago, I took a friend who was interested in an Isaac Haines kit. Wayne showed him a kit and I told him he'd be hard pressed to find a better piece of maple. I couldn't believe how long it took my friend to decide but he finally decided to buy it. While walking out to the truck, my friend stopped in the middle of the parking lot and just stared at the stock. He exclaimed "My God, look at the figure in this wood." I told him that's why I said he'd be hard pressed to find a finer piece of maple. He couldn't see the curl until he walked out into the brilliant sunlight. The smooth rifle he ended up with is quite a looker.

I bought a Isaac Haines kit from him about twenty years ago. Stock in curly cherry, large siler lock and a .50 caliber Getz swamped barrel. Good shooter! This was my first build. Came out way better than expected. The Getz swamped barrel makes for comfortable balance.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1597415060149.jpg
    FB_IMG_1597415060149.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 113
  • FB_IMG_1597415195651.jpg
    FB_IMG_1597415195651.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 121
  • FB_IMG_1597415042454.jpg
    FB_IMG_1597415042454.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
My hunting rifle is is a Dunlap Isaac Haines .54 with swamped Rice barrel and Chambers large Siler. It’s a great shooter and extremely well balanced. I got the rifle used and it was built about 20 years ago. A friend of mine has an Isaac Haines .45 built from a Chambers kit and it is a great rifle as well. I don’t remember the particulars on his rifle but I don’t think you could go wrong with either kit.

I would call Jim/Barbie and ask them your questions. They are great to deal with as is Dunlaps.

Back