• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DUDE, SMOKED HIM!!!???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few years back I was Lucky? If you want to call it that to get picked for a Bull Moose Permit in the North Maine Woods. Only motor vechicals allowed are 4x4's Trucks, no ATV's No Motorcycles, no Bikes. and you better bring everything for survival with you as there is nothing up there except logging trucks and a couple Maple Sugar shacks ( A guy that worked at one was so excited to see us that he was jumping up and down waving Happy!) On the NMW ( North Maine Woods) Website it says be prepaird to abandon everything in case a winter storm comes in and walk out. or if a Bridge collapses ( That did happen to one just before we drove over i) Had to detor about 20 miles around on a seldon used dirt road. Note. Suggest you do not drive over the Beaver Dams that the Logging machines drive over, it may not work out well. I invited an old NAVY Submariner Buddy to go with me so we had 2 trucks. Mine was Diesel his was Gas. so I loaded up 100 gallons of Diesel and we just used his to get us to a camp site and used my truck every day out in places where we should have been on Horses. ( Another guy offered to coe and bring Horses and all his Montana Remote Tents and all, but we were told Horses wre not allowed any more) I question why as they used Horse for Logging for hundreds of years, I guess its because the Logging trucks drive like MAineiacs as fast as they can, you Must have a CB Radion on in logging country) My Buddy he insisted on bringing his huge contractors trailer with enough junk we could have lived there for a year and of course blew out a tire about 30 miles into the woods on a one lane dirt road, right before dark. Lucky he had a battery powered sawzall as his spare tire was rusted under his Suburban, suprise. It was not even the correct size to fit. note: My Dodge Rims 8 lugs will fit on Chevy trucks.. Well we are both Divers/Subamriners so he brought a wet suit figuring that if we shot a Moose in a Swamp which is about every ten feet, we could winch it out with the 1,000 feet of 1/2 line and 1,000 feet of steel cable that I brought. I also bbrought 2 chainsaws. one for wood ( Another Maine Guide had a tree fall accross the logging road he was on and needed to cut his way out) and the new chain saw was to quarter up the moose into 5 parts. head separate . Hint if you shoot a 1,000 pound Moose be sure its standing in a dirt road or better yet get it to walk into your truck. Anyone want to go Moose Hunting? I know where the Moose are but cant do it by myself.View attachment 98884
HOLLY SH$T, what did his mother tangle with? I as they say where there is a will there is a way. this proves it. I hope she rely loved him??

I’m knocking on the door of senior citizen status. I’ve been very fortunate to have taken a good number of whitetails. I work hard to set up my shots with the proper angle. I trim lanes in the summer. Practice shooting. Limit myself to 50 yards. I also say a prayer on recovery. I have to admit, I still shake like a 12 year old after the shot. I still get that excited. No yelling, no fist pumps, no laughing. The day I lose the excitement will be my last day hunting.

I've watched a lot of videos of hunters that dropped magnicifant animals, and reacted in a manner where a normal person should be. A guy should appreciate the prize he won and feel the magnificance of coming out of the situation with an animal to be proud of.

Seems like a lot of the hunting shows anymore have guys that are part hunter, part actor. I’m not an actor, I’m a hunter. When I take an animal, I’m happy, actually very happy. But I celebrate quietly to myself. If I played football and scored a touchdown, I’d just hand the ball to the ref and run to the sideline. I wouldn’t do some dumb end zone dance. Both of my sons shot deer this season while I was sitting right beside them. We gave a quiet high five then went and started the work. I’ve never been flashy, never will be.

I think most of them just act for the camera. I know for a fact that they “recreate” the shots where they walk up to the downed animal. Most of it is a bit much for me…

I go to the woods for solitude and to be in the paradise I am blessed to be able to visit. "Thank you Lord" is the first thing I say when I am successful. It's also what I say when I am not. Some of my very best hunting trips didn't include harvesting an animal.

Alas we live in a world full of attention whores. They all think filming their hunts, and one upping the next guy is the most important part of the equation. I try to stay far far away from these folks.

Latest posts

Back