• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DUDE, SMOKED HIM!!!???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are onto an idea I have played with. While employed in the plastic industry for several years in Western OR it occurred to me to get a full 4 x 8 ft. 1/8 in thick sheet of black repro UHMW and fit one end up like a toboggan with a pull rope. Then make some way to secure the critter on it. It could be winched or pulled, and would conform to the ground and slide easily on most any terrain. The thought occurred to me when I helped three other guys get 600 lbs of coast elk two miles out of the rain forest to the nearest road, but I never tried it.
A few years back I was Lucky? If you want to call it that to get picked for a Bull Moose Permit in the North Maine Woods. Only motor vechicals allowed are 4x4's Trucks, no ATV's No Motorcycles, no Bikes. and you better bring everything for survival with you as there is nothing up there except logging trucks and a couple Maple Sugar shacks ( A guy that worked at one was so excited to see us that he was jumping up and down waving Happy!) On the NMW ( North Maine Woods) Website it says be prepaird to abandon everything in case a winter storm comes in and walk out. or if a Bridge collapses ( That did happen to one just before we drove over i) Had to detor about 20 miles around on a seldon used dirt road. Note. Suggest you do not drive over the Beaver Dams that the Logging machines drive over, it may not work out well. I invited an old NAVY Submariner Buddy to go with me so we had 2 trucks. Mine was Diesel his was Gas. so I loaded up 100 gallons of Diesel and we just used his to get us to a camp site and used my truck every day out in places where we should have been on Horses. ( Another guy offered to coe and bring Horses and all his Montana Remote Tents and all, but we were told Horses wre not allowed any more) I question why as they used Horse for Logging for hundreds of years, I guess its because the Logging trucks drive like MAineiacs as fast as they can, you Must have a CB Radion on in logging country) My Buddy he insisted on bringing his huge contractors trailer with enough junk we could have lived there for a year and of course blew out a tire about 30 miles into the woods on a one lane dirt road, right before dark. Lucky he had a battery powered sawzall as his spare tire was rusted under his Suburban, suprise. It was not even the correct size to fit. note: My Dodge Rims 8 lugs will fit on Chevy trucks.. Well we are both Divers/Subamriners so he brought a wet suit figuring that if we shot a Moose in a Swamp which is about every ten feet, we could winch it out with the 1,000 feet of 1/2 line and 1,000 feet of steel cable that I brought. I also bbrought 2 chainsaws. one for wood ( Another Maine Guide had a tree fall accross the logging road he was on and needed to cut his way out) and the new chain saw was to quarter up the moose into 5 parts. head separate . Hint if you shoot a 1,000 pound Moose be sure its standing in a dirt road or better yet get it to walk into your truck. Anyone want to go Moose Hunting? I know where the Moose are but cant do it by myself.
Maine Mossel.jpg

Last edited:
This topic has gotten off on old guy game recovery so here is my special tool;

I call it my deer-dragamatic 2000 (tongue in cheek), It is a 2000lb boat winch that is driven by a cordless battery operated drill. I put 100 ft of 1200 lb breaking strength mule tape on the spool because it spools on evenly, cable just doesn't work and knots up.

My first winch was a 600 pounder that turned out to overload and heat up the drill.

I get about 75 yards of pull with one battery and now have 2 drills and 5 batteries, three of them huge capacity.

I strap my winch to a tree pull the deer, pick a clear path be it 20 ft or 30 yards and move the winch to another clear path as needed. My contraption will pull a deer up a cliff if needed. I put them in an ice fishing sled for pulling, they pull easier. I have pulled three deer out of deep hollows so far, it pulls at a rate of 1ft every 2 seconds.

My drag pulled the 4 wheeler up a hill easily on its first test.

dragamatic 2000.JPG
drag 4 wheeler.JPG

Last edited:
I normally do say a nice and quiet “ YESSS” after a good shot in any instance of my hunt. I’m happy for two reasons, it was a good, skillfu, shot and now there is fresh meat to feed the family. I’m not a trophy hunter, but if a nice buck walks out in front of me it will get shot. After I find the animal, wether it be a squirrel, deer or rabbit, I give thanks to the good Lord above for allowing me to possess the skill needed to make an ethical quick kill. I quit watching hunting programs, not so much for the reaction of the hunters, but for alll the stupid advertisements that quickly turn a hunting show into an infomercial. I don’t mind the excitement or enthusiasism a fellow hunter shows as long as it’s genuine. If I ever stop getting excited… I’ll prolly call it quits.

Geeeeeze Eric, it was suppose to be funny, lighten up. I made the same exact mistake back in the sixties when I sold a jeep, with 'wench' in the local penny saver. Small town, lots of razzing which I also thought was pretty funny. Your reaction tells more than your typing skill.
Robby

A few years back I was Lucky? If you want to call it that to get picked for a Bull Moose Permit in the North Maine Woods. Only motor vechicals allowed are 4x4's Trucks, no ATV's No Motorcycles, no Bikes. and you better bring everything for survival with you as there is nothing up there except logging trucks and a couple Maple Sugar shacks ( A guy that worked at one was so excited to see us that he was jumping up and down waving Happy!) On the NMW ( North Maine Woods) Website it says be prepaird to abandon everything in case a winter storm comes in and walk out. or if a Bridge collapses ( That did happen to one just before we drove over i) Had to detor about 20 miles around on a seldon used dirt road. Note. Suggest you do not drive over the Beaver Dams that the Logging machines drive over, it may not work out well. I invited an old NAVY Submariner Buddy to go with me so we had 2 trucks. Mine was Diesel his was Gas. so I loaded up 100 gallons of Diesel and we just used his to get us to a camp site and used my truck every day out in places where we should have been on Horses. ( Another guy offered to coe and bring Horses and all his Montana Remote Tents and all, but we were told Horses wre not allowed any more) I question why as they used Horse for Logging for hundreds of years, I guess its because the Logging trucks drive like MAineiacs as fast as they can, you Must have a CB Radion on in logging country) My Buddy he insisted on bringing his huge contractors trailer with enough junk we could have lived there for a year and of course blew out a tire about 30 miles into the woods on a one lane dirt road, right before dark. Lucky he had a battery powered sawzall as his spare tire was rusted under his Suburban, suprise. It was not even the correct size to fit. note: My Dodge Rims 8 lugs will fit on Chevy trucks.. Well we are both Divers/Subamriners so he brought a wet suit figuring that if we shot a Moose in a Swamp which is about every ten feet, we could winch it out with the 1,000 feet of 1/2 line and 1,000 feet of steel cable that I brought. I also bbrought 2 chainsaws. one for wood ( Another Maine Guide had a tree fall accross the logging road he was on and needed to cut his way out) and the new chain saw was to quarter up the moose into 5 parts. head separate . Hint if you shoot a 1,000 pound Moose be sure its standing in a dirt road or better yet get it to walk into your truck. Anyone want to go Moose Hunting? I know where the Moose are but cant do it by myself.View attachment 98884

I reside across the continent, but that kind of hunting really takes me back. Every time you went into OR coast range it was a test of equipment and courage. The only sure thing was you were gonna get rained on and you had about six hours to get in, and get back out to camp, or you were gonna spend a very uncomfortable night. I would pony up on the moose hunt though, if I lived closer. There are worse ways to go than freezing to death lost in upper Maine woods I guess : ). Maybe this old man rough country hunting can be done safely if you take enough of us along to assist everybody getting back out.

The Moose Hunting Tag in Maine is done by Lottery, You Buy a ticket or multiple tickets if your a non resident and wait to get picked. I dont know how some people get picked every year or two, there are some familys where all the Aunts, Unckles, Nieces and Nephues all get picked and they get 5 or 6 Moose in a year. The "Rules" State that if you get a Moose Tag, you have to wait 2 years before being eligable to get picked for another Moose Tag. however in order to keep your "Points" for applications you must buy a ticket every year. they have a Disabled Veteran Moose Harvest on the Broccoli farms where Fish & Game claims they will give out 24 or more Tags to Disabled Veterans. it is in the Aroostock County where you can use ATVs and must o with a Volunteer Maine Guide. I have been putting in for that for the past few years, have not been picked as Fish & Game has only issued 6 Tags to Disabled Veterans. Dont bother ask where the other Tags went as you wont get an answer. I could put in for the Lottery in zone #4 for 2022. Both for the Regular Moose hunt and the new Adaptive Hunt in the North Maine Woods area. would need group of Guys that are not as disabled as myself to help. Only the Primary tag holder and an Alternate may actually shoot the Moose, But there is a lot of Meat to go around. also there are Partridge and Black Bears and Really Big Whitetail Deer in the same area. would be fun to get some with the Muzzloaders! [email protected] the Muzzloaders! View attachment 99125https://www.maine.gov/ifw/docs/Final Adaptive Unit Moose Hunt Packet_7_21_21.pdf Email me [email protected] https://www.maine.gov/ifw/docs/Final Adaptive Unit Moose Hunt Packet_7_21_21.pdf Email me

Attachments

• NMW-Outline-in-Maine-cropped.png
    NMW-Outline-in-Maine-cropped.png
    194.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
"If the average 13-year-old knows that shouting and getting wound up over a harvest is silly" -Ganggreen

If you believe this, you are a bad person. We should not be promoting bottling up emotions. That's the fast track to living a sad, miserable life. The fact that he felt embarrassed is simply sad, he never had a chance.
First let me say that I am a hunter, and have been since I was 7 years old.

I can understand an ostentatious display of joy or triumph over killing an animal that has terrorizing people, or a particularly active and successful livestock or family pet-killing predator. Same for a particularly cruel and sadistic enemy soldier.
But I draw the line at unrestrained rejoicing at the killing of a fine game animal that was just living it’s life and bothering no one.
In a civilized society, SOME emotions should be suppressed.

I just want to make sure I haven't been doing things wrong to this point.

You see, I've been watching a few deer hunting videos on the world wide web lately. It seems that 90% of them contain fist pumping, with screams of "DUDE, DUDE, DUDE", and "SMOKED HIM"!! Also popular is " Now THAT'S what I'm talking about"!!! after a kill shot.

Viewed one video this evening, where a poor guy seemingly became instantly possessed after shooting a buck. There's not enough money in Indiana to have swayed me to want to be within 5 miles of the fellow in the several minutes that followed his pulling the trigger.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. That's why they build both Chevys and Fords, but, i 'm concerned that I'm missing something, having never reacted with such gusto after taking game.

What say you, dudes? (Nope, doesn't feel right here, either).

Best regards, Skychief.
I have hunted with my younger brother. He not only looks like a mountain man but acts like one too. When he shoots a deer he approaches it to make sure it is dead and not suffering. Once that is done he respects the animal by talking to him. He turns him facing the east and puts an acorn and a bit of tobacco in his mouth while thanking him for his meat which will sustain his family. It is not for show because I walked up on him doing it. He was shy about but did explain to me what he was doing. He always gets a deer. Us 4 brothers would go out and he would get the deer.

I just want to make sure I haven't been doing things wrong to this point.

You see, I've been watching a few deer hunting videos on the world wide web lately. It seems that 90% of them contain fist pumping, with screams of "DUDE, DUDE, DUDE", and "SMOKED HIM"!! Also popular is " Now THAT'S what I'm talking about"!!! after a kill shot.

Viewed one video this evening, where a poor guy seemingly became instantly possessed after shooting a buck. There's not enough money in Indiana to have swayed me to want to be within 5 miles of the fellow in the several minutes that followed his pulling the trigger.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. That's why they build both Chevys and Fords, but, i 'm concerned that I'm missing something, having never reacted with such gusto after taking game.

What say you, dudes? (Nope, doesn't feel right here, either).

Best regards, Skychief.
NEVER , NEVER , NEVER !! To me , it is a very solemn moment of seeing what i have done , and thanking God for His bounty !! No macho camera manure needed , thank you !!

I will take a pic of the animal in a respectful position, for I know I am getting older and one day will not be able to roam the mountains in the quest, same as the mounts that grace my walls therefore, I can look back with memories of the hunt. but no fanfare and stuff like that. Like I said in the beginning of this thread some of these guys are in it for the money and supposed status that comes with this sort of thing. I hunt because I am a hunter, I am respectful of the animals I hunt, I do not need instant gratification and pats on the back, will I praise another hunter on a successful hunt YES, Do I brag about a successful hunt NO, do I talk about a successful hunt YES. I hunt mostly by myself, and I am the one who needs to be in alignment with the art of the kill and the aftereffects.

I feel that excitement inside but that's where i keep it. And it's not so much i killed as i outsmarted a deer i was hunting. Over the years i try and hunt the biggest Buck on the property i can hunt. And it's for meat not just horns. And i'm always thankful for the experience of the hunt.

Made my living as a wetlands and wildlife biologist for almost 40 years, then Vietnam got it's revenge on me and had to retire early. Hard getting into the woods these days, but I do try on good days. VA pays pretty well, and sure takes care of my health now.
I would literally spend multi weeks in woods and swamps from northern Virginia to southern Argentina - and miss the heck out of my former lifestyle. Almost always alone in the various wildernesses, and personally like it like that.

I've also taken my share of game along the way, and like the Creek (Muskogee) Indians, honor whatever beastie I got lucky enough to fill my meat larder. And almost always had a reaction of "Wow! Lord, thanks for making it possible."

I do get a kick out of many hunting videos where the "hero" and friend/guide are constantly whispering - and KEEP whispering after they have fired their cannon, making enough noise with it to drown out birds and beasts.
I guess I am a bit different, using a few hand signals if I am with someone. Many times I have taken game at less than 25 -50 yards, and never at more than about 150. I've walked up on foxes, deer, moose, black bears, and so on, just trying to walk very slowly and very quietly. Funniest one was getting to within about 4' of a pair of mating rattlesnakes - one of the few times I spoke with my companion biologist (snakes can't hear, but DO feel vibrations) - I spoke and said, "Hey, Brad, do you suppose when done they smoke little rattlesnake cigarettes?" I HAVE seen many different animals making babies - fall is not just rut for corvids.
Used to hunt with my trusty Rem 700 in .270 - now it is almost always a ML - only own one cartridge firearm, a Sig-Sauer in .380.
But - almost impossible to hunt any longer. Not going to try while I have pain pills working, and really can't go too long without large muscle groups rebelling.
Have some mighty fine memories though, and few regrets.

I hunt to meet the needs of my family and conservation (the Animals & habitat).
Without a sizeable hunting sport population,, Conservation suffers. License fees
and various permits raise cash for habitat. Deer herds are already at
explosive levels that ,in places ,cannot sustain them. The best thing that you
can do to support wildlife is to be a supporting hunter. Buy your license.
Get the muzzleloading season permits. Of course we praise God who gave
us everything. When you eat the game, it becomes part of you literally and
scientifically. You cannot give the animal a higher compliment than that.

Back