• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

dry ball removal with water

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guncobbler

40 Cal.
Reaction score
When we got the underhammer dry balled last Monday I tested my thoughts on pumping water into the barrel with a grease gun. My grease gun was mostly empty so I just unscrewed the grease gun loading end and filled it with water. With the zirc fitting installed in the nipple threads we pumped the water in and squeezed that ball out. The water poured out of the barrel, the nipple was replaced and we were ready to clean the gun. No need to clean a cup of grease out of the barrel. Now I wonder if I can use house water pressure to push the ball out? GC

i dont think tap pressure would be enough, as it usually runs no more than 60 psi. with some sort of pumping method as you mentioned though pressurized water is a good idea. something else that sometimes works is air pressure from a compressor, just keep in mind have a safe backstop just in case.

gungobbler,
I agree with spottedpony about the house spicket,
unless you put some preasure behind it. Grease
gun sounds good...Would not want to keep one in
my hunting bag though:grin:
snake-eyes :v

what's wrong wit a good ol ball screw puller, never failed me yet :rotf: :v ...........bob

Mike,
Although I agree with you and Bob the ? was
about using water presure.:hmm:
snake-eyes

snake-eyes said:
Mike,
Although I agree with you and Bob the ? was
about using water presure.:hmm:
snake-eyes
I'm aware of that. Personally I think using water is an ingenious idea but why. :confused:

Seems like a lot trouble and clean up, not pratical on a range or hunting.

Nice thing about using water is that the stuff is darn near incompressable. When the ball starts to move there is no expansion to keep pushing the ball down the barrel. It was just like driving the ball down the barrel with a dowel. We kept the rifle pointed at the backstop but all that happened was a "ploop" and the ball fell into the trash can at the end of the workbench. I agree that this is not a range or woods expediant but it works just fine in the workshop and the zirc fitting was just 75 cents. I will continue to carry nipple wrenches and bullet pullers to the range and woods. GC

which one is the zerk fitting....the one the grease gun snaps onto or the pointed end on the grease gun to fit inside the grease fitting :v .............bob

I have seen a ball puller fail. I came in on the deal late so I don't know exactly how it happened but I think the guy had put the screw into the ball not far enough and had pulled chunks of the ball out and before ya know he had a big old hole in it and the screw wouldn't grab onto anything. The grease gun trick pushed right out though

Latest posts

Back