• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Drinking horn cup-how to cleanup?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenix511

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just made a horn drinking cup from an aborted hunting horn project, used the big end with a nice butt plug already installed. Appears to hold about 5 - 9 oz of liquid. Swished melted beeswax around the base and sides, soaked for an hour in water and disolved Polident. Rinsed 3X, still tastes like some combo of beeswax and horn.

I'm reluctant to try this with good Bourbon!

What to do?

I'm reluctant to try this with good Bourbon!

Then try it with cheap whisky :blah: :rotf: I would fill it with water & pour in some baking soda that may take the taste out of it. :v

when I make a rum horn I sand the inside down to 220 and then give a good scrubbing with bleach and water and let it dry good,then add the melted beeswax.

Thanks to all for the ideas on my horn drinking cup. The scent & taste of beeswax has gone away after soaking in baking soda for a day. I fear the beeswax will begin to soften if I use the cup for a hot beverage. I believe Brewer's Pitch is alcohol solvent, so that distilled spirits will soften it, and impart a pine tar flavor.

Any of you used a horn cup with success ... that it not flavoring the beverage? Maybe I'm best to continue using my tin cup.

In the horn projects I've done, I've filled the interior with bleach and let it soak for a while, seems to have cured it of any flavor - for cold beverages, anyway.

I did a horn-based coffee mug last year, and I had to seal the inside with a polymer resin to keep the cow out. Little bits of beeswax floating in your coffee might smell nice, but can get stuck in your teeth...

You can see the pieces I'm talking about if you follow the link in my user profile.

Just a W.A.G. but it might prove useful. I bought some of the tavern mugs years ago.The instructions said to fill em' with beer and let em' sit a day or two. Then pour the beer out and rinse with cold water and let dry. It seasones them over time and it wasn't long before there was no metal taste however if I had 3 or 4 drinks from the same mug I probably wasn't tasting much anyway.....
Might work for the horn? Just hate to think of wasting good rum.......

Back