• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Drill & tap size for Johnson peep sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can’t measure the screws yourself, best to ask the people that make and sell the Johnson peep sight. Specs could change over time.
If they answer emails like they ship, I'll be waiting a while for an answer. But I'll give it a shot... I don't have any way of checking the threads on something that small.

7/32 X 40 threads, try a search , I did!
Hard to believe they are using old fractional sized threads, but if they, a new tap will be pricy for what it is. Believe a 12-40 tap is only .003” smaller diameter and much more common and possibly what was used. My reason for suggesting OP ask Johnson.

7/32 X 40 is a standard peep size.
And I have found the 12-40 tap to work just fine for 7/32-40 peep sights. Have seen booth threads used interchangeably by sight makers.
1623183140652.jpeg

Sorry, did not really read......most folks need to know the Peep thread. Glad that you found the "Mounting Screw size".

Many place to order them from, but Brownell's usually has fast service.

Buy two.

Wherever you buy the screws , buy the starter and finish tap as well. Short holes that sight screws go in , require a way to tap to the bottom of the hole.
I already have the screws; they came with the sight. Kind of embarrassing to admit, but when I went back to the vendor the description of the sight actually said it came with 6-48 mounting screws; I guess that didn't sink in when I made the order. At this rate, pretty soon I'm going to need to hire a little boy to keep track of me, and make sure I remember to zip my pants and put my shoes on the right feet...

I ordered a cheap three-tap set, and a good quality bottom tap. Hopefully the cheapos will last long enough to get the threads started, and the good bottom tap can finish them.

This Johnson peep sight is going on my Kibler SMR. This morning I was reading some old threads on peep sights, and where to mount them. Most people mount them on the barrel, although one old boy chimed in that doing so instead of mounting them all the way back on the tang made them as useless at teats on a boar hog. That fact that multiple other posters said they'd been doing it for years and were perfectly happy with the results didn't change his mind one iota....

I temporarily fastened mine as far back on the barrel as possible with masking tape, and was pleased with the sight picture I got. Much better than the traditional notched rear sight. That put it beside the lock, which seems to worry some people, because of it getting fouled and dirty while shooting. But I don't shoot so often that I can't clean it off now and then...

Planning on taking the rifle out tomorrow morning with the sight taped on, and giving it a try. Looks to me like centering the top of the front sight in the aperture is going to make it shoot pretty high. If it does, I'll deal with it one way or another. I might bend the base a little and move it back partway onto the tang, or get a taller front sight, or...

For those not familiar with Johnson peep sights, here's a pic of one from another thread. It's in German silver, as is the one I bought. The owner said it's brass, but I think it might be a very yellow German silver like mine. I'd rather have had one in iron, which would be more in keeping with the steel furniture on my gun, but they were out of stock. This one's on a jaeger if I remember right; the thread is here: Johnson Peep Sight
1623213070922.png

Last edited:
Back