• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Drill-pres mills?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Typical generic type drill presses are not suitable for milling. They are lacking in structural rigidity, nor their bearings designed for or robust enough to withstand the side thrusts involved.

TANSTAAFL=There aint no such thing as a free lunch.

I concur. I have in limited situations bolted a cross vise to my drill press table and done some light weight milling of aluminum and brass with a drill press, but what Tanstaafl says is so. The bearings in the quill arent heavy enough to take the side thrusts very long, and you will soon knock your quill bearings out if you use your drill press for milling very much. Look into either Wholesale Tools or Grizzly for their combination lathe/mill machines at about $1200 which are made to be used as mills/drills/lathes.

B

Don't know if they're in Oregon but Harbourfreight sells small ones of the above for 500-600 depending on what you want to do.

Well there is a series of how-tos dvds by Jose Rodrigues on how to convert and also use a Drill press for milling ... have not tried it ... but here is where you can rent these dvds if you are interested. :hmm:
[url] http://technicalvideorental.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=115_13[/url]

Davy

Last edited by a moderator:
The actual problem is that most drill presses have Morse Taper spindles. Because there is no thru-hole for the draw bar for the end mill holder, the end mill will grab and pull the holder out. With small drill presses with threaded spindles, an end mill can be held in the drill chuck and very light milling can be done.

Seeing a drill press isn't meant to mill because of bearing slop and lack of rigidity, what's wrong w/ using a file?.....Fred

Bill, et all

The bearings are one concern. The spindle and its diameter,,are another. Most quills, are of relatively small diameter. This leads to flexing and runout while trying to mill. Jr06 makes a good point, that the Jacobs taper on the spindle is poor at best, when trying to hold against the pressures an endmill puts on it.

I have a small drill press that I outfitted to mill with. When I, with the help of MRW, dimantled the quill < I was looking to see what I would need to refit it > we found this Chinese import had four sets of sealed ball bearings!! The spindle diameter was about 14mm and had a jacobs taper on it. The center points were intact on the spindle. We used these, on centers with Marlow's lathe, to turn the taper section down and threaded it 1/2 X 20tpi. This allowed me to use a threaded chuck..

I mounted the power head onto the column and then trammed it to the base. Once I had this as near as I could.. I set about mounting the XY vise. This was trammed to be square with the head < fore and aft > and also trammed to allow the jaws to side to side in alignment.< using a dial indicator >

In the old 1950's Popular mechanics and their Shop annuals,, they had various articles about Milling with a drill press. The main concern was an auxillary quill support. This helps take some of the side pressure off the spindle and helps cut down on flexing and runout.. I've made a couple of different versions < but none I'm really satisfied with yet> In lieu of the support I have still managed to mill with this machine. The secret, I think??, to milling in this way.. is four flute endmills. They take a smaller cut and don't overload the spindle or the motor. Also, you have to be patient and resign yourself to repetative cuts. Try to go too fast or Hog too deep :nono: and your asking for trouble!!

I know, some are thinking..why not buy the lil harbour freight mill.. Well, I guess with other obligations and such.. I don't feel like I can take the $$s from my family. To buy one for myself is surely a selfish venture. Lynn Marie and Colton would not be getting any benefit from it ..well other than not having to deal with me for a few hours, here and there.. :rotf:

I had the XY vise already and the DP was only $39.. the most I have in it is about $50 total, and my own time and brain energy.. Plus the satisfaction of saying I did it myself..Oh, with Marlow's help of course!! :redface:

When I can.. I intend to make a 1:50 worm gear, so I can down feed the quill in a more controled manner. I can try to take some pics of it,, if anyone is really interested??

Respect Always
Metalshaper

Fred,,

Nothing wrong with using a file!! the thing is, most people don't know how to run them properly!! :rotf:
I use my German Milling machine < files > on a regular basis,, and its partly how I got the side moniker as Metalshaper.. But they are also a pain, to do internal slotting with!!

I'll take a picture of My Jenks frame.. that I am making from scratch. It was made entirely with Step drilling, files, chisel and TIME!!

Respect Always
Metalshaper

Latest posts

Back