• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dragoon rammer pulling balls out?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moose30273

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy.
Just got home with a Uberti 1st Model Dragoon. Using .457 diameter balls and 50 grains of powder, I can get the ball, wad and powder in the cylinder. However when I really "lean" on the loading lever, (cause it is a cylinder full) the balls seem to swage up into the end of it and pull out of the chamber. It looks like I could simply take a little metal off the end of the lever and it would remove the sharp end and this might fix the problem. Course I could probably drop my powder charge or use grease instead of a wad. But why?

The best reason I can think of to answer "why" is so you don't break your loading lever. :hmm:

IMO, one should always leave enough room in the chamber so that the ball can be easily seated below the face of the cylinder.

The little extra powder won't be noticed and the gun will live a lot longer without the need to replace loading levers.

Zonie, voice of reason go away! About 45 grains of powder shot pretty well and everything fit in the cylinder. I did touch up the end of the loading lever a little and have had no problems loading or with sticking balls. As always, the gun is more accurate than I am.

Like Zonie said:

Voice of reason. Don't try to cram so much powder the ball can't be seated without bending the loading rod. Compress powder more... probably not much.

You are working with technology of 150 years ago. You can't make these into 21st century magnums.

Enjoy these pistols for what they are.

I put some JB Weld in the end of the rammer and molded it to fit the ball. Works great

Back